The Middle Tennessee Thread

Help me find a Home!

Well it finally happened, one of our girls crowed at me this morning. So I did enough research to find out about saddle feathers and it looks like we have 2 roosters. Both of them were hatched April 29th from eggs we got from DMRippy. These are our 2 favorite out of the 6 we have from that hatching so this is hard, but we need to find homes for our boys. If I remember correctly one is a Lavender Split and the other is a Blue Maran. Hopefully Donna can chime in because I don't really remember what all we got. Once they hatched all we cared was that we had a colorful flock and colorful eggs. Here are some pictures, McFeathers is the Maran and Junior is the Lav.

They are both big healthy birds, as far as I can tell (they are our first chickens). They have been free ranged since about 5-6 weeks old and we have played with them since they were born so they are quite friendly. They will come right to you if you have food and will come beg for snacks on occasion. We have a 2 and 4 year old so they are familiar with kids and both of them get caught by the 4 year old frequently. We also have 2 large dogs so they are used to that as well. PM me if you are interested in either of them.
Don't you hate when that happens!!! We had the most beautiful Easter Egger that turned out to be a roo (after a guarantee it was female) we did find him a good home with a friend who is giving me a Polish pullet.....sweet.....then found out one of our beloved Silkies is a roo....can't bear to part with him, he's only about 4 months so I'm not in a hurry since he hasn't crowed yet., but I know it's coming. Good luck!

Here are my Foley BLRW that DMRippy picked up for me.

, this guy is my Black laced red roo.

There is my younger Blue laced red.. he is almost as dark as my black.

Weinie dog watching from outside the pen.( Unlike most Dachshunds, he cares nothing for the chickens.so he doesnt chase them...they chase HIM, LOL)

My black laced again..

By two roos, and younger splash.. the other splash is hiding
hide.gif
, note the light feathering under the roos? LOL

Younger splash.

older splash

younger splash with the black laced roo.

Younger splash with blue roo, I can tell this one is going to have darker lacing.

older pullet

Actually, both of these guys got the feathered legs. We had three OEs hatch and we have 3 Black chicks, I was pretty sure of that, but who knows. We also got one that is all white except for a couple half brown feathers, any idea what that one is?
EE or Olive Egger? I know that red guy had to have been an Olive Egger. No way he is a Marans. The black ones could be either Olive Eggers, Easter Eggers, Marans or Lav Splits that is why I hatch them in sep baskets, you just can't keep them sep by colors.

I was away when they hatched and Shannon was real busy so keeping track of them wasn't real easy. We also weren't real concerned with who was who. We just wanted diversity, we definitely have that. Now if they would just lay me an egg before I leave.

This is Juniors foot, on the left you can see the half toe. It is 2 knuckles and no nail. It's kind of creepy and bad special effects looking.

I was away when they hatched and Shannon was real busy so keeping track of them wasn't real easy. We also weren't real concerned with who was who. We just wanted diversity, we definitely have that. Now if they would just lay me an egg before I leave.

This is Juniors foot, on the left you can see the half toe. It is 2 knuckles and no nail. It's kind of creepy and bad special effects looking.
I read that to say he had 3 toes that were just 1/2 toes on each foot. That is rudimentary toe and it is usually just the outer toe. Very common and not a DQ or a fault. But I don't breed birds with that.

I am OVER RUN with olive eggers and have culled MOST but not ALL of the roos. I am putting them on CL in a day or so, but wanted to give you guys first option. Most are EE colors so far and about 5-6 weeks old. Almost all are clean legs. Not sure about beards and muffs but I would guess a mix. PM me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom