The Middle Tennessee Thread

Sad day... the kids just came running in to tell me that both of our boy alpaca were dead in the barn. No signs of an attack or anything... it is a mystery. A sad day in our house....
hugs.gif
for all at your house!

Here is the illustrated mystery. I don't know who "Blue" is but one of those eggs hatched and survived. I labelled two of the OE eggs for those two roosters I already posted pictures of with feathered feet. We are pretty sure that one of the EE eggs is a white hen that is getting random feathers that are grey and brown. We have three black ones that all look like the last pic I posted, they are irridescent green with beards.

So what should the one labelled "Blue" look like?

Out of 2 EEs, 1 OE and 2 JLs I got two more birds. At this point I am confused as can be and this is more for my own satisfaction of knowing. Good luck and thanks if you can help.

he.gif

Here is the illustrated mystery. I don't know who "Blue" is but one of those eggs hatched and survived. I labelled two of the OE eggs for those two roosters I already posted pictures of with feathered feet. We are pretty sure that one of the EE eggs is a white hen that is getting random feathers that are grey and brown. We have three black ones that all look like the last pic I posted, they are irridescent green with beards.

So what should the one labelled "Blue" look like?

Out of 2 EEs, 1 OE and 2 JLs I got two more birds. At this point I am confused as can be and this is more for my own satisfaction of knowing. Good luck and thanks if you can help.

he.gif
The carton on the Left the 3 you have marked would be Olive Eggers (the white prob came from my white Olive Egger hen) the others are EE and could really be any color. The 3 in the Middle would be Lavender splits and would be black with beards and muffs (but so could the EE) . The 3 on the bottom are marans could be blue or black copper, may or may not have feathered legs. The ones in the other carton that didn't hatch are d'Uccles. The brown ones on the bottom? I can't read them

Thank you so much, that makes it a heck of a lot easier to figure out. That pretty much makes the one rooster the Blue/Black Maran. The blue roo and white hen are OEs, the three blackies are EEs (they are almost identical except for their feet so I think they are the same batch, but who knows). The one you couldn't read is a Barred Rock. One hatched and she was beautiful but her feet were messed up. We tried to rehabilitate her for about 5-6 weeks with no luck so she had to be put down, that was a hard night. We also had a Lav split hatch but she wiggled her way through an impossible hole and drown. It's been an interesting project so far and even though we haven't had a fresh egg yet it has been rewarding.

If I can ever get a picture of them all I will send it to you.

Thank you so much, that makes it a heck of a lot easier to figure out. That pretty much makes the one rooster the Blue/Black Maran. The blue roo and white hen are OEs, the three blackies are EEs (they are almost identical except for their feet so I think they are the same batch, but who knows). The one you couldn't read is a Barred Rock. One hatched and she was beautiful but her feet were messed up. We tried to rehabilitate her for about 5-6 weeks with no luck so she had to be put down, that was a hard night. We also had a Lav split hatch but she wiggled her way through an impossible hole and drown. It's been an interesting project so far and even though we haven't had a fresh egg yet it has been rewarding.

If I can ever get a picture of them all I will send it to you.
What is different about their feet? The black ones?

The roo has black feet with black nails, one has black feet with yellow nails and one has black and grey mottled feet with yellow nails. Until the roo doubled in size this was the ONLY way we could tell them apart.

Hey.....like all newbies, my coop is becoming too small. I need a new one. I got this one at the co-op it was an impulse buy, we were there, it was there....done. Now that I know better what I want and need in a coop I don't know where to go. Went online and saw several I liked but the customer reviews were not good, said they were made with cheap wood and didn't last.....then there are the other ones that I like and cost a mere $1500 not including shipping....obviously we could get plans and build one, only we don't have those skills.....and so far getting someone to build us one with good products and the labor we're back up to the $1500 range.

I need one for 6-8 chickens and preferably with a run for days when I can't have them free range......any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom