The Middle Tennessee Thread

right now it is VERY hard if not impossible to get any quality Lavender ENGLISH Orpingtons...the best I have found that are for sale are lavender from Brushy Creek...they have some of the cleanest lavenders around granted they are not full english but it would only take a few generations to get them up to size and shape...now there are some beautiful English Lavs out there but most of the time the breeders that have them keep all of the chicks to them selves which is very understandable or charge ridiculous prices....your best bet to get a good english lav and breed it your self...get some good lavs and good blacks that shine GREEN not purple or blue....purple shine of blacks when bred to a lav cause the lavender offspring to have red / gold leakage on hackle and saddle feathers. 

I have blacks I am growing out with the green sheen... I actually want the lavs for a project. In fact all I really need is an English roo... I love my pure English Orps. Maybe too much considering I now have seven colors...

Just finished day 7 candle 6 out of 8 JG's looked great 2 of them im not for sure about.. i also set 8 delaware crosses same day only 2 of them was for sure fertile my old roo is not getting it done.. still very exciting as this is my first time incubating

Just did my 14th day candling and only culled 3. My air cells are small, I think the natural humidity in the air has worked against me. I think I'm going to put some rice in a bowl and change it each time I turn them as well as leave the vents open till lockdown. Any body else fight this in styro bators?
My air cells are way too small, and look closer to what the 7 day should look like. I have 44 chicks looking good to hatch, and now I have to counteract drowning them. I'm going to use the rice the next few days, and I think I'm going to make each egg a cup or ring to hatch in so they will stay with the air up by their head. I'm just tore about it. At least they are due to start hatching on a Saturday when I'll be here. I've learned quite a bit about getting chicks out of the shell with this old home made thing. Things I'm changing for this hatch is absolutely every chick once fluffy is coming out, the pips will remain up in position, and I'm putting some anti fog on my glass so I can see what the world is going on in there.

I have blacks I am growing out with the green sheen... I actually want the lavs for a project. In fact all I really need is an English roo... I love my pure English Orps. Maybe too much considering I now have seven colors...

I don't know the difference English or what ever I have 5 Lavender Cockerels I wish someone would look at and tell me ....if they are any good .....if they are I would like some hens...

Anybody interested in a couple dozen Swedish Flower Hen hatching eggs? I was going to incubate them myself, but I was able to get some araucana eggs I'd been wanting. So now I don't have room in the bator for the SFH eggs. PM me if you want them.

I am looking to sale this 8 month old girl, she is sweet and really wants to hatch some eggs. I just don't have space and my other hens aren't nice to her. I have a black girl too, same age with a shimmer of green in the light. They both have full feathered boots

Just did my 14th day candling and only culled 3. My air cells are small, I think the natural humidity in the air has worked against me. I think I'm going to put some rice in a bowl and change it each time I turn them as well as leave the vents open till lockdown. Any body else fight this in styro bators?
My air cells are way too small, and look closer to what the 7 day should look like. I have 44 chicks looking good to hatch, and now I have to counteract drowning them. I'm going to use the rice the next few days, and I think I'm going to make each egg a cup or ring to hatch in so they will stay with the air up by their head. I'm just tore about it. At least they are due to start hatching on a Saturday when I'll be here. I've learned quite a bit about getting chicks out of the shell with this old home made thing. Things I'm changing for this hatch is absolutely every chick once fluffy is coming out, the pips will remain up in position, and I'm putting some anti fog on my glass so I can see what the world is going on in there.

What is your humidity staying at? I use a styrofoam bator and have pretty decent hatches. I never put the plugs in though and at most sit a shot glass of water in with them. Using the water trays guarantees trouble. It seems to work best at my house if humidity stays at 25-35%. I use a juice glass after lockdown and that gets it up to around 65%. Higher than that and they drown in the shell.
Good luck. It's tricky and frustrating to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom