The Middle Tennessee Thread

I have a TOLBUNT pipped :ya   there are 3 in lockdown and they were all wiggly when I put them in :fl   I have 5Black Eng Orps in there too :fl

Lori 2 of the cracked eggs look to be developing ok.  I waxed them just in case.  I tossed about 7 clears.  I will update you when they hatch... next week I think... set them on the 5th.

Hardinpoultry.... I need your secret code on the silkies they are due next week too.  FINALLY I will have some silkies... well more than 1 or 2 at a time anyway.  Guess I need to learn about them now.... SOP reading I guess.

Yay! I am glad they are developing... The trick is not shipped eggs and two hens to a rooster...

The storm the other night sucked. We lost so many chicks and younger birds because we lost power for around 6 hours. Six of our Juvenile Jubilee Orps died and we had a couple of adult Silkie losses too. I HATE STORMS!

Did anyone on here go to the sale at Elkton last weekend? was a lot of people there... couldn't believe how many people there were. All are welcome on here but being close to Middle TN is always a plus haha

Thank you, I am in extreme North Alabama, minutes from the line. I raise several breeds of LF . My intention is to reduce the nber of breeds and maybe raise some show birds.
I certainly am not scared to ask for advice/ help. That is what I'm doing now.
I also enjoy helping folks with home made coops, runs, tractors and incubators.
Thanks again for having me. Let me know if I can help.

Haven't been online in ages, busy w/ the couple in trouble we took in in March - She had the baby 4/10 via emergency C section. They are doing fine now. The baby was seriously underweight b/f they came to stay w/ us, but w/ a month of real home cooked meals baby was born 5#8oz & full term :) We are working on helping the husband apply for jobs so hopefully they can get on their feet and get their own place asap now.

Meanwhile I've figured out most of the hatching issues I was having, so here is a batch of 9 who hatched while the baby was being born -- I'm intending to raise them as a flock just for her as I fuge by the time they are laying she will be eatting eggs.
2 Sam. Fav, 1 fancy Polish tophat, 6 EE 5 of which should be Wheaten & came from sky blue eggs!

Then a batch of 5 -- really happy about these as 3 were my first ever from the pen w/ the pure Amer. Roo over my mint green daily layer EE "Ugly" , plus first 1 from JG "Dilly" (the chick w/ light chest), 2 mixed EE, 1 Oops (laying hen found a way to get in w/ Sizzleboy and has given me some April Fools Silkies popping out of what I set for EE eggs)
I have a bunch more like exactly like these below set to hatch over the next few wks. Any of ya'll who were looking for some feel free to pm me as I will have more than I'll keep now that I have the bator figured out ;>

And the Big News

Goose Egg Hatched yesterday.

Yikes! I had no idea a possum would do that kind of damage. My folks had one break in a few times but it was only after the chicken feed. They had raccoons working on the gate latch. The electric lines they added stopped all attempts.
I was the same a few yrs ago. We were loosing birds like crazy & DH sat out a few nights and figured out that the possums have learned to HUNT chickens just like Racoons due. We blame all the giant chicken houses where they have thousands and just pile up the dead birds, I believe this has taught the possums to eat chicken and hunt ones in coops/pens b/c 20-30 yrs ago a possum wouldn't act like that. Now they are our worse problem.
I know they don't need fancy, its just a far cry from what I had before. Thanks for the encouragement.
I know it isn't what you had (from pics) but I have a saying "Something is better than nothing". We have a lot of very practical, free & super ugly coops here, but we could not have been having poultry w/o them. We are working to convert to better looking ones are we build more, and get better at building from pallets & recycled stuff. But the point is having something practical that works for the birds first. Cute/fancy etc. can come along in time. At least you have a start, and I assure you it is better looking that several functional eye sore pens I have used here.

Okay, I have to vent as I can't do it at home.

Granny had a stroke at Christmas.
Mom had a stroke this month.
Dad has been trying to deal with both of them but can't.
Mom has had a drastic personality shift and has become one of the meanest, most foul mouthed, irritating persons I have ever met.
Grandmother was living with parents but has now moved in with me.
I have been doing everything for my grandmother to give Dad a break, have 2 children at home, 1 graduating and attending college, farm, husband, and full time job.
Personal sickness that I haven't discussed with anyone, job sucks and stress there is thru the roof, and I don't have enough time in the day to do anything enjoyable.
Have a bill to pay that will take every bit of saving and scrimping so that means I can't attend a single chicken show this year, no new books (my second passion), kids are instructed to be extremely careful with shoes and clothes and not to wear the good ones on the farm, etc, etc.
Husband's family has a whole host of issues going on.
Strong winds this week flipped and rolled down the hill, thru the stream, and up into the other pasture, my chicken house with the show silkies in it.
Everyone has had their own personal meltdown moment for them to have a chance to scream and cry, but me. I am the one that has to keep everything on track.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Okay I feel better letting someone know that I am in over my head.
Wow you do have a load. As do several others who have noted such on the list. I hope everyone who needs it gets a chance for some personal time to relax and take a load off for awhile at some point during this weekend.

i hate to change the subject but im looking for some young pullets. rir's, ameracauna's maybe some production reds. and golden sexlink's. somewhere in the 4-10 week old class. i just finished my coop and needs some chicks. NOW.
As noted above, I've got a ton of EE in the bator, likely way more than I'll keep, pm if that interests you.

& finally
WELCOME new ppl , hope you are all enjoying your adventures w/ chickens!

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get rid of a possum or coon? I'm having a time here and losing too many birds! Any suggestions?

Did anyone on here go to the sale at Elkton last weekend?  was a lot of people there...  couldn't believe how many people there were.  All are welcome on here but being close to Middle TN is always a plus haha

We were there & checked out the animals. Wow, I found it quite sad the way the chicken were stacked on top of each other :( The silkie hens, their backs were so bare. Saw several, what looked to be pretty peacocks. Maybe it's because we hasn't been to an auction like that before...but the way the chickens, peacocks, piglets & guinea pigs were crammed into such small crates & small cages was quite sad. Needless to say, we didn't stay for the auction.

Back
Top Bottom