The Middle Tennessee Thread

And why can't I do that with the 13 BCM chicks I have right now!!
bow.gif
I had someone offer me $2 a piece for them today because apparently $5 was "too high" for pure Black Copper Marans chicks with feathered legs.
he.gif
Yes some times you get lucky like i did this evening but most of the time its like that.. people low ball ya to death or some will call ya 15 times to talk about it..
rant.gif

Yes some times you get lucky like i did this evening but most of the time its like that.. people low ball ya to death or some will call ya 15 times to talk about it..
rant.gif
Yep
roll.png
If they had offered $4 a chick I probably would have taken it but $2 is like "you are actually SERIOUS" about that?
It is just a tough year to sell birds for some reason.
It is a tough year to sell some birds... I can't keep any BLRW, Silkies or BBS Orps. I can't hatch any of those fast enough. Or Red Sex Links. Or now, Ameraucanas... I have had three people already wanting chicks.

Quote:
I can't even sell the sex links. I have had all kinds of requests for silkies... not in a few weeks but still. I have 2-3 blue Eng Orps from Lori's eggs... maybe I should sell them. I am not going to work with blues... just blacks. You want to swap some of those silkie chicks for some Blue Orps?????? Just hatched a week ago.

I can't even sell the sex links. I have had all kinds of requests for silkies... not in a few weeks but still. I have 2-3 blue Eng Orps from Lori's eggs... maybe I should sell them. I am not going to work with blues... just blacks. You want to swap some of those silkie chicks for some Blue Orps?????? Just hatched a week ago.
Sure.
big_smile.png
If they have hatched by Monday... Last hatch was SLOW. We are going to end up doing Blue/Splash and then Black separately when my Black chicks grow out.

The sex links sell REALLY WELL here. I think I only have like four pullets hatched this week left. Hopefully I get to keep those and grow them out so I can stop buying eggs in 6 months.

Last edited:
The problem is that the market is flooded. There used to be just a few people doing relatively small hatches and selling them for decent prices. Now there are a ton of people hatching out 200 chicks every three weeks and the market is saturated. People can get anything they want locally now and they have a choice of breeder. Of course they are going to lowball the prices.

Soggy weekend ahead for everyone who is just starting to dry out...

Wondering if any of you know a plumber in the Mt. Juliet / Lebanon / Gallatin vicinity (or who would drive out here) who is not the least bit claustrophobic and doesn't mind getting filthy? We have 3 "frost-free" faucets and they've all gone drippy. I replaced the rubber gaskets but it's not solving the problem. I suspect the seats are shot and the faucets are original (1985) so it may just be time to replace them. They attach some 3' from the spout and in a crawlspace. Not my kind of DIY project...

Well with the rain coming again we are going to get a guy out with a bobcat to CLEAR the path in the wet weather creek. It has 2 feet of gravel about 40 ft long that was not there before the last flood. Doug and I are going to try to dig a trench and put some pipe in it to help keep the water out of the Lavender and Wheaten pens..... there is usually a little river that runs through them and it takes awhile to dry out. Still not dry.... especially the back pens
barnie.gif

The rain has arrived in Southwest TN. I am stranded in our carport because I have my egg basket and right now it's POURING. I am hoping it eases a bit.

I was super confused today when I got asked if we had any birds which were "striped"... Took me a moment to work out he meant barred/cuckoo. I need some BR hens or some Dominiques really.

Last edited:
Donna - I meant to tell you that the black copper marans chick I got from you last year went broody about 6 weeks ago. I only gave her a few eggs to brood since I didn't have a separate pen for her and since she hadn't been broody before and I didn't know if she'd stick with it. She brooded them in one of the egg boxes in the large pen - about 4 1/2 feet up from the floor. She did great - hatched out three cute chicks and has been a very protective mother. So - thanks. I love broody hens.

Back
Top Bottom