The Middle Tennessee Thread

Quote:
People have been using chicken poop on gardens for centuries. As long as it COOKS and is composted you will be fine. My compost pile can't really cook without us adding a ton of grass clipping and we cant do that. We are trying to get away from pine shavings.... they don't compost easy at my place.
I have had people offer to clean my coops for the poop for their compost piles. LOL.
Poultry pass a high percentage of copper. This is fatal to sheep. I've know of too many unknowing people who fertilized sheep pastures wuth poultry manure just to loose dozens of sheep to copper poiso6nibg.
I have not knowledge of sheep husbandry.... I was strictly talking about gardens.

On the way to Bonnies we stopped at the Flea Market (I saw chickens LOL)  Doug was talking to this guy about his ducks..... in about 5 mins this guy almost had him buying DUCKS!  He told him they were better bug eaters than guinea.....  what do yall think... yes no?????  He made me think guinea are bug specific eaters and ducks would eat anything..... is he right?  I don't want ducks... they are really messy.

Well Ducks are better at eating mosquito larve and snails and slugs. If you don't have a problem with those three I would stick with guineas. Of course if you are going to put up with messy ducks I would spring for Manderins because their beauty and resale price makes them worth it.

Mosquito are bad.... not so much snails and slugs.....

Manderins would be my first choice but the permits required to have them seem like more trouble than it is worth.

Snails and slugs presented one of the worst problems TN has seen in many years last year. More than triple the number of small ruminants died in TN lasy year due to menangial worm (deer worm) which requires smalls and slugs as intermediate hosts. During periods of lots of rain or for those who live on property with creeks it behooves is to move water sources frequently if we have small ruminants.

The 2014 Spring hatching season is officially over for me!

My last chick just hatched about an hour ago!

For this hatch we ended up with 9 chicks out of 13 eggs which is not bad to shipped eggs!

I the last four months we have hatched over 100 chicks!

Now it is time to start choosing my future breeders and sell the others!

I have acquired some wonderful blood lines this year and I am so excited to see how they mature and what kind of chicks they produce!

Did anybody else catch the evening news about the wild ducks on Old Hickory Lake dropping dead yesterday? Something like 30 ducks on one property. The owner alerted the Wildlife people who took some of the ducks and sent them out of state for testing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom