The Middle Tennessee Thread

A showgirl who is 11-12 week old. What do you all think, male or female?. I'm kind of leaning toward pullet but then again some days I think I am not sure. She's got no real comb to speak of and she probably isn't far enough along to be sure there won't be streamers but there are none yet.. She has super dark skin and nicely shaped 5 toed feet. She was a hatched egg from a show breeder. I had been thinking about keeping her and I'm sure I'd get more for her if I waited to be sure she is a pullet. But I'm running out of room. I may have to sell her as take-your-chances him/her. She's sweet and even if she/he ends up a roo I think he's be a good start on a showgirl flock.

Ok, I have a stupid question. Really, just ignorance on my part, but I figured I'd asked some of you first before I started making myself look stupid on other threads...LOL.

Later this year (or maybe even next year) I intend to get some Silkies for my daughter. I know NOTHING about Silkies. I had not decided on any certain color/pattern when I ran across this photo,below, on a FB page. I think the poster was a young boy, otherwise I would just ask them. This pic was posted and labeled as a "cuckoo sizzle Silkie". Is that what it looks like to you guys? And has anyone seen any birds that look like this guy? I think he's gorgeous!

Again, not my photo...

The color pattern is 'cuckoo' and is very rare in silkies. I breed cuckoo and barred silkies. 'Sizzle' usually refers to a Frizzled Bantam Cochin/Silkie cross, and I would agree that this guy looks more like a Sizzle than a pure Silkie.

Ok, I have a stupid question. Really, just ignorance on my part, but I figured I'd asked some of you first before I started making myself look stupid on other threads...LOL.

Later this year (or maybe even next year) I intend to get some Silkies for my daughter. I know NOTHING about Silkies. I had not decided on any certain color/pattern when I ran across this photo,below, on a FB page. I think the poster was a young boy, otherwise I would just ask them. This pic was posted and labeled as a "cuckoo sizzle Silkie". Is that what it looks like to you guys? And has anyone seen any birds that look like this guy? I think he's gorgeous!

Again, not my photo...

He may be a silkie cross but he is NOT a silkie. That crest is all wrong for a silkie. Silkies don't have waddles either. Sizzles are Silkies in every way BUT they have normal smooth feathers. Frizzle is the curled feathers and he is not a frizzle. He is barred or cuckoo, but a mutt. Looks like from that crest he has some polish in him, silkie and who knows what else.

Back
Top Bottom