The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

Yea its a pinkish- purple now, but a lot more purplew than a few weeks ago. It just amazes me how much they do look like the female. There are only a few of the reddish neck feathers left. I gotta look pretty close to tell the difference.

Hey all. Had a nice surprize yesterday. Two Baikal eggs! Only thing was they were layed out in the open by a pond. Went to feed them this morning and was going to stick the eggs in a makeshift nest. Didnt see one of the females and she was in a box.(First time) Looked like she had made a nest so I put the eggs in there with her.I kinda figured it would take a while to lay since the boy didnt fully color up till end of March. I thought something was up because the male has been running circles around the hens and talking alot more than usual. I am curious if all Baikal males do this "dance"as this is my first time raising this species. Ill keep yall updated on the trio. Your pen is looking good Justin. Most of my birds are molting and look crappy as they get finished with it.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Congrats on the baikal eggs! I wouldve though it was too late in the year for them to start the whole "flirting" and beginning off egg laying. But its definatly good I tyhought wrong.

Hey Toejam, I really like the pen for ducks you're completing! Are you going to put the same pools that are in the pictures into the new enclosure? If you add something other than the perching type ducks, such as teal, then maybe an additional easy access point in and out of the pool might be a consideration.

Quote:
Well, once they get into the big pen, I'm using 2 kiddie pools. However, when I expand I'm using the preformed pond I have, I'm not using it right off the bat because I can't justify the cost of the extra water. We are not putting the pond in the ground wen I do get enough, we will have retaining wall around it, so it will be easy to get in. At least that is my plan, but I'm open to opinions.

Quote:
congrats Shawn
yes mine always acted crazy in their courtships displays and were also my last ones every time to color out.
Good luck on the eggs they are a tuff one to get to lay to start with

Thanks yall. I was torn on taking them out and putting them in a nest with a pintail setting. But I want to see if she will be broody first and foremost and I figured if she sees two eggs in the box it will get her going. I hate when they just lay them out in the open like that.If they were'nt in a pen by themselves I would have thought some other little teal layed them. Little greenish eggs. I thought they would be bigger. If she does set I will probably take them after two weeks and incubatate em. (No baby baikal chasing
lol.png
) I will try and take some pics tomorrow. The boy was talking and circling the hens again this evening on the ground.

congrats on the baikal eggs.

Toejam: If you can't justify the water with the preformed pond just stick with the kiddie pool. they work good, and are a lot easier to dump out and keep clean. Remember what i was talking about the frog, its a drag to drain scrape algae and fill back up again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom