The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

Quote:
Yea I'm just stickin with that. The pond itsself is pretty big and for only 2 pairs, I don't think it's worth it yet. They are just gonna dirty it up so might as well let em dirty up less water lol. The kiddie pools are working well. And yea, draining seems like it would be a pain.

Quote:
YEAH Shawn for the Baikal Eggs!!!! I am getting two pair from Pinola this year and I can't wait.. Along with some other stuff..Of course I have to get their pen done.. It only need one new wall, new wire on teh front and a new room.. plus the pond dug out plus... the list goes on.. it is a 10x10 pen that is build next to our barn (1st pen we had chicken in 20+years ago) which now how 2 pheasant pairs and lots of roosters since they got booted out of the brood house! There is always work to be done!!

On a sad note (I may have shared) I lost both my ruddy babies and then a Bufflehead Hen this week.But I found 2 more Ruddy Eggs and had 9 Apricot Wood Duck hatch so things are good!! it has been a pretty good season for my first year but think it would have been better if I would have pulled eggs once or twice a week and the weather hadn't been so crazy... Today it has rained all day at is now 66 degrees.. it has been in the 95-105 for the last 20-30 days!

My question for everyone.. I am taking off for a few days around the holidays to get some much need work done at home (spring cleaning) and work on our farm a website.

So when you go to someone's website what do you like to see? The species of birds they have, about the species, prices? Thoughts and suggestions woudl be great.
I kind of know what I want to do but I am open to suggestions!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! I need to put some more sod in this year since hald of it is a mud whole at the moment! rain rain go away. my quail have dug big holes too! Weird

Quote:
Thanks! I need to put some more sod in this year since hald of it is a mud whole at the moment! rain rain go away. my quail have dug big holes too! Weird

Send the rain here!! also maybe small descriptions and subheadings
--> dabbling ducks (not a significant amount of water surface area needed) __> mallard, redhead, etc.
--> perching ducks (Raised wood duck style boxes required) __> wood duck, mandarin, ringed teal, etc.
--> diving ducks (require more water surface area and volume) __> merganser, smew, ruddy duck, etc.

Just ideas.

O and how cool about the comb ducks. I know their not pretty by any means but they are very um unique looking.

Last edited:
It rained here yesterday from 630am un til after 1pm.. yuck.. but it cleared up just in time for the AWF Game Coook Off... Deer, Poark, wild turkey, quail and our featheried friends...

Thanks to the rain the backhoe guy is coming out today since he can't do his other work so it looks like it will be a busy weekend of concreting, stringing the net and finishing up the catch pen.. Hopfully by Monday our babies will all be in there new pen...
smile.png

I like to see the species broken down, like dabbling diving, stifftails etc. Have a little bit of info on each, then the price. Then pics of the pen they are in.

Quote:
yep they are unique alright , bout all I can say for them, LOL

I actually like the comb ducks. I know they are $$$$ but about how much?

the black and white with the green shine is kinda pretty, but that big ol sail of a comb on the bill just turns me off.
That and they are freaking big. Saw them last at the Lubbocks, they were just one of those, hum ok what's next birds for me. Not sure of the current price, so few people have them, there's not really any way to have a "market" average on them, pretty much whatever you want. I want to say the last ones I saw sell were about $1500 but that was 10 years or so back too.

Back
Top Bottom