The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

hi ive been raising Muscovys and mallards for a good while and ive been wanting wood ducks for about two years so in that two years ive looked up EVERYTHING there is to know about them. I plan on getting 2 pairs for 100$
yesss.gif
,which is really cheap around here, and putting them in a 60x70 pen and I also have a second section that's about half an acre long and wide. im just wondering if this seems good with everybody
fl.gif
. I also plan on letttinf the hens raise her babys in a cage above the ground. I also plan on using mazuri waterfowl starter
big_smile.png

That does sound very nice! And that is a good price for them. Is the pen covered? Do you have any pictures of it? Why are you going to raise the ducklings above ground? With a hen I seem to think they would be much better in a natural setting. Plus it would stress the hen being in a different cage and she could pace back and forth and possibly hurt her ducklings.

Yes you can't broad ducks in a small brooder type pen. Especially wood ducks. They are very flighty and the hen will beat them to death in most cases.
Best to brood them by themselves or let the hen pen raise them. All other sounds good except the lack of netting over the pen. Either net it, or get pinioned birds which I hate. They flop around like they are half dead when trying to fly. Plus any hawk will easily get em

Yes you can't broad ducks in a small brooder type pen. Especially wood ducks. They are very flighty and the hen will beat them to death in most cases.
Best to brood them by themselves or let the hen pen raise them. All other sounds good except the lack of netting over the pen. Either net it, or get pinioned birds which I hate. They flop around like they are half dead when trying to fly. Plus any hawk will easily get em
x2. I hate seeing pinioned birds trying to fly. Plus it does not help with lots of snow in the winter. I prefer full winged.

Muscovy ducks are huge compared to ornamental ducks, and I personally would not keep them together.

Never put domestics in with any wild species of ducks. Allnofnthem are too aggressive and will mix breed every hen you have in there. They will bully the males to the point of often killing them. Always best to pen them away from wild ducks. They just are too timid and small to be in with them. Especially muscovies they are the worst of all the domestics.
Also on the wing clip and or pinioned birds. Being a cavity nester that always posed nesting problems for me. Pinioned ground nesters never minded but its hard to get a cavity nester to produce well in ground boxes.... if you don't plan on producing its not an issue . But keep that in mind .... I highly recommend having the pen right BEFORE you buy.

Back
Top Bottom