The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

well here I go again. To recap I bought a pr of Chiloe Widgeons for Christmas 2008 they bred in spring 2009. The Drake died 1 week before hatch was due. Nothing hatched, all eggs were clear. So for Christmas 2009 I bought another Drake from the same person since he was enroute on my hubbies trip to visit his mother in Fl and wouldn't require shipping. They bred spring 2010, 2 clutches with nothing hatching, again all eggs clear, and also again this year but did hatch out a couple of Mandarin eggs and she was so happy. Christmas 2010 I bought a new Hen out of Tn. She just finished with her first clutch with nothing hatching, all eggs clear. So now what buy a new Drake again from somewhere else??? I hate buying just a single bird and pay all that shipping. Do Chiloe breed first year?? Is that the problem?? Thinking it is more the Drake

Shawn do you have a Chiloe Drake I could borrow next year????

You should have seen the family gathering yesterday when I released them out of the isolation pen when she quit the nest to rejoin the original hen. Drake kind of miffed at the 2 Mandy babies until Momma set him straight. Love to watch them loving all over each other heads bobbing up and down

Lord knows?? Figured when you got a new hen you'd be in business. Sounds like you have my kind of luck. Yes if she laid they should have been fertile, I did pretty good on first year Chiloes.
Might just want to get a couple pair from some where else and start all over

Just checking here now, but you are sure it's a pair right?

Last edited:
It can be frustrating at times we have experienced this with other species, and what I have found is if the hen lays eggs and they are not fertile get a new drake. The hen is doing her job by laying the eggs but the drake is not. We have had this with year old birds and tried them the following year and got both results ducklings and more infertile eggs. All of the widgeon species do breed fairly well their first year.

oh,
I thought you said it was from a different source but that was the hen wasnt it.
If it was from the same guy, sounds like he may have some inbred for too many generations and the boys are ending up sterile because of it.
find you some from another source and things should get better

Last edited:
Im sorry I havent been on here in awhile. Been super busy! No chloes anymore Donna. Kanga, My magellans are getting along with everyone in the community pen. Even had babys running all around them. Finally got em out today after two weeks. Lost my four baby cans cause they got rained on(my fault)
sad.png
Didnt have the last brooder compartment covered and of course its them, Ive been running trips every day and if it wasnt for my mom feeding and watering the little ones I would have lost alot of these later hatched babies. But have another can sitting . If yall can believe it I have pintails cans and reg and apicot woodducks still laying. I dont know how to shut em off !
lol.png
Most of the males are molting. Still hoping my Baikals will have some though. I have been very fortunate having alot of the babies find new homes. Aubrey I had to feed a bunch of babies egg yolks a coupla times this year when my store was out of "baby food" worked great. I didnt give em the whites cause I wasnt sure. But it seemed to me I heard somewhere there is more protien in the whites than the yolks. But Im old school so all Ive ever done was the yellow.

yep me too Shawn.
alway the yolks, never bothered with whites.
The yolk is what they feed on any way right in the shell

keep the trips going shanw, been pretty out that way ever since the season opened.
Was just over there again last weekend, loaded the boat again, monsters too, all the snapper were 15 +
, 20 dolphin, bunch a bee liners
Gotta love it!

Might need to come run a trip with you, trying to find out about blue water fishing over there. I'm an Atlantic guy, go to the ledges at the stream and rip into them. But still learning where over there Mexico Beach area is where our boats at. Not too far from you. Need to come for a vist next trip and see your birds

Last edited:
Quote:
You won't be disappointed boggy. When I was in destin for spring break, we visited Shawn. It was probably my favorite part of the trip lol. All of his ducks(and pheasants) were so cool looking. And we returned with some cool souvenirs
lol.png

I give up
he.gif
I was so excited. I am a newbie to the ornamental ducks. I worked so hard reading and studying and trying to take all the advice on here. Had 2 hatches of wood ducks ( which are said to be easy to raise, ha not for me) I had 2 hatches.. incubated the so well, i was so excited that I had been successful in my incubation and hatch. between the 2 hatches I had 16 babies............... now I have 5... what the heck am I doing wrong. I am honestly beating my head against the wall. yes I put domestic ducklings the same age with them to get them eating. Yes i sprinkled ground up feed on the mat. Yes they are under a heat lamp.. actually in my spare bedroom..... someone please give me some advice. I love ducks and I wanted to be so successful at this and I feel like a dang failure............... help

Back
Top Bottom