The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

Quote:
Roocrazy...
I am located in Eastern MN and have Woodies, Mandies, Euro Wingeon, & Amer Wigeon. Give me a shout.
Mike

Do you have pictures of your birds?

Quote:
all of them, if you get just 1 or 2, you'll end up getting all of them eventually anyway, so just do it all HAHA

I agree its an addiction
tongue.png

I think im drawn to migratory waterfowl because i hunt, and i love to see the birds fly by and swim. and i LOVE to hear a sharp quack of green wing in the reeds!!!

Lets see some close ups of your tots HottentotTeal ! Roocrazy we LOVE to hunt ducks here TOO!!! WE have the most buffleheads here you can imagine. Our bays and sounds are full of them.It is our most common duck. We also have most all the others. I even shot a longtail here and my friend got a common scoter last week.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cool. Duck is done for this year. but we got the woodies and mallards, teal, pintails. ive never shot a bufflehead. though id like to get the chance.

Really its already over? Duck season here lasts till the 8th.
We get mostly mallards, green/blue teal, shovelors, and an occasional pochard.
Opening weekend of season i shot a Ruddy duck in Cheyenne Bottoms (largest fresh water marsh in the interior of the United States.)
Also had the experience of seeing 14 whooping cranes on their way to quivera.

Last edited:
This thread almost got lost with the change in the website!!

Anyone have experience with tree ducks? Are they hardy enough for Missouri winters?

Doctor T, go back to the first few pages. I have them all broke down into groups there, and the tree ducks are covered.

But yes, they are one of the very few species of waterfowl that really do not like the EXTREME cold. They do just fine in the teens, but subzero and prolonged temps way down there they dont fair so well in.
I have known many Great Lakes area breeders to do very well with them though. They just keep them all in a barn during the worst of the winter.
I've had pretty much all of them, the common ones are the most hardy for sure and best in lower temps, fulvous, wt face, and black belly. The Java from what I have found seem to be the most sensitive to cold, perhaps because they are so tiny. But as long as they have some wind shelter, and you arent below zero a lot they do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom