The Moonshiner's farewell to Leghorns

What should Moony do?

• Quit this nonsense thinking and stick with the Leghorn breeding.

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Forget the Leghorns and stick with this new awesome project breed

Votes: 32 40.0%

• Total voters
Pics
What traits make a chicken really good as a winter layer?

What traits make a chicken really easy to handle?
Birds that were developed in colder climates or that are made for commercial egg factories (sexlinks, white leghorns, that kind)

Pet bantams, like silkies, cochins, polish, sebrights. Anything with a big crest too, cause they can't run away well if they can't see

The point is that we can all list traits important to MS's stated breeding objectives.

Cold tolerant layers:
1. tend to be larger than leghorns, usually in the 7 to 8 pound range
2. do not have single combs, need either rose or cushion or another variant
3. have yellow legs... don't you just wonder why...
4. are only moderately broody
5. are active foragers

Birds that were developed in colder climates or that are made for commercial egg factories (sexlinks, white leghorns, that kind)

Pet bantams, like silkies, cochins, polish, sebrights. Anything with a big crest too, cause they can't run away well if they can't see

Erm.. I wouldn't list sebrights as particularly easy to handle, or good winter layers. They have spunk and sass and "can" be awesome pets.. but more often than not they're like two year old toddlers! LOL

Erm.. I wouldn't list sebrights as particularly easy to handle, or good winter layers. They have spunk and sass and "can" be awesome pets.. but more often than not they're like two year old toddlers! LOL
I didn't have them for the good winter layer part. As for ease if handling, 2 out of my 3 are the easiest to handle besides my polish out of the 50+ in their group

The point is that we can all list traits important to MS's stated breeding objectives.

Cold tolerant layers:
1. tend to be larger than leghorns, usually in the 7 to 8 pound range
2. do not have single combs, need either rose or cushion or another variant
3. have yellow legs... don't you just wonder why...
4. are only moderately broody
5. are active foragers
Plenty of heat tolerant/ not cold tolerant also fit those points

Back
Top Bottom