The Moonshiner's farewell to Leghorns

What should Moony do?

• Quit this nonsense thinking and stick with the Leghorn breeding.

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Forget the Leghorns and stick with this new awesome project breed

Votes: 32 40.0%

• Total voters
I really think with your experience you don't need to focus on just one project at a time. Focusing on one breed is for the inexperienced chicken breeder. I also think you could realistically move your timeline for the Jaded Amethyst Devil pot scrubber soup legs up to 3 years to completion.
Also, since you're planning on a rainbow of eggs I think you should incorporate that into the leghorns as well. What do you think you'll sell eggs for? $500 a dozen is fair I think. A proven broody, chess playing rooster I think you could easily ask $2000, maybe $3000.
But definitely don't just focus on one breed, definitely not time consuming enough.

I really think with your experience you don't need to focus on just one project at a time. Focusing on one breed is for the inexperienced chicken breeder. I also think you could realistically move your timeline for the Jaded Amethyst Devil pot scrubber soup legs up to 3 years to completion.
Also, since you're planning on a rainbow of eggs I think you should incorporate that into the leghorns as well. What do you think you'll sell eggs for? $500 a dozen is fair I think. A proven broody, chess playing rooster I think you could easily ask $2000, maybe $3000.
But definitely don't just focus on one breed, definitely not time consuming enough.
dead snow white GIF

I just discovered a leghorn expert via your swan song post!! Can I glean some info from you?
First Question: I've had leghorns but want to try Pearl Leghorns from McMurray's or California Whites. Any opinion on them in production, health, less skittishness, etc., versus just the regular leghorn?
Second question: What would a Bielefelder rooster x leghorn produce?
Did person you were asking answer your questions? Im no expert....but i did happen to order some mcmurray pearls so i thought id throw in a comment. Ive been very pleased with them. They are prolific layers. Being lehorns they are Pretty flighty. But they certainly do outlay all my other hens.
I did have to get a rollout nestbox specifically for them......since at least one hen was terrible about eating eggs. Other than that though......no complaints about them.. Huge beautiful white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom