The Moonshiner's Leghorn Thread Peanut Gallery

Pics
Yes Randy was from the original RI Red family.
I'm going to have to go back a bit. Once upon a time the chicken world was different then it is now. Chicken breeds were fewer and further between than now and new breeds were being created. In Rhode Island a new breed was being created. The Rhode Island Red.
Now being the first of a new breed is like chicken royalty. But as part of the family hidden from the public eye is a dark secret.
When born into a family in those early breed development stages a young chick is destined to become one of two things. A breeder to go into the breeder groups or a cull to go into the freezer.
Randys mom was a beautiful young pullet. She fit the standard perfectly. Not only that but she was one of those chickens that just pulled you into them. Fascinating to be around. Every cockerel had their eyes on her.
Roseanne only had eyes for one cockerel though, Rupurt. Now Rup was a great looking bird in his own right. And he definitely had the abilities and drive to make it into a group. But Rup had one big problem. He was born with a single comb instead of a rose comb. Single comb was about the worst thing that could happen to a RI Red. Instant DQ. Freezer camp for sure.
As weeks went by Roseanne knew Rup's days were running out but then the strangest thing happened. All the men folk left the farm. Breeding pens were broke down and chickens started free ranging together. Life was taking a wonderful turn. Or was it?
What the reds didn't know was that the civil war had broken out the year before and armies were growing larger and marching up and down the coast.
As the war raged on life got harder for the flocks. The war was ugly. It turned neighbors against neighbors and split families down the middle. As bad as it was at least you had a side and could fight for it.
Chickens had no sides to pick and many flocks were being neglected or left to fend for themselves.
The biggest fear was the armies though. They would march through an area and kill and eat every chicken in sight.
Chickens started fleeing the area. Rup flew the coop and took Roseanne and headed west. No one knows much about the trip but they settled in the Dakota's and found a nice ranch far from the horrors back east.
Life was good and Randy was born in the spring. Rose took to motherhood well and cared for her brood. Well Rup took to making chicks more then being there for them. And was soon sowing his seed all over the prairie. Rose did all she could to keep Rup home but he had the blood and up bringing of a breeder. He soon departed the farm and headed out to find more flocks and larger flocks.
Life was hard for Randy in those early days. Just how hard I don't know. He didn't talk about it much.
As a young juvenile cockerel Randy was purchased and moved south down to the show me state.
The war was wrapping up but life was tough for a lot of families in Missouri that fought for the south. A lot of hatred still existed and Randy showed up with a chip on his shoulder too.
Randy lived on a farm down the road from us. He was a rule breaker and trouble maker from day one.

I first met Randy one afternoon at my farm. Our dogs were barking at the back fence so I grabbed my gun and headed out around the fence. I wasn't quite prepared for what I saw.
There was Randy peaking through a knothole in the fence at some young pullets taking an afternoon dust bath. Randy with his face up against the fence one wing blocking the glare from the sun and his other wing.... Well his other wing was a little busy. I was shocked, suprised, stunned. Randy turned saw me and continued. That was our first meeting.
I marched Randy home with a bit of disgust and wondering what I should do. Should I just drop him off or tell what happened. What an awkward situation.
Seems my neighbor was well aware of Randys ways and this was the last straw.
I felt bad and pleaded for him. Randy was paroled to me and came home to our farm. We talked, set up some rules and he quickly broke every one of them.
Randy had his moms charm, his father's drive and both of their stunning looks along with a single comb like Rup's. Instantly the girls loved him and the boys hated him.
He grew up on the farm and lived life Randys way
While the other cockerels played hide and seek Randy played hide and peek with the pullets.
When they went down to the creek to swim he snuck up the creek with the girls to skinny dip. Basically no matter what new and exciting things the other cockerels came up with to play all Randy wanted to play was with the pullets. When he didn't have any pullets to play with he played with himself. Yes hours in the outhouse flogging himself.
Seasons came and seasons went and Randy grew into a fine rooster with the drive of ten roosters. As he matured and took over as our main rooster things were great. Well for Randy they were but the hens were having trouble keeping up with him.
I decided it was time to expand the flock. As luck would have it the RI reds were now a breed and their numbers had grown so much it wasn't hard to find a flock of 40 hens. Soon demand for our farms RIRs increased and so did our flock. With Randy on the job fertility was 100%. Our flock grew to 100 hens then 200 then 300. Randy was putting out more chicks then all the other farms in our area combined. Randys offspring were sweeping across the country and so was his reputation as the rooster that never stopped. Randys genes were strong and our RIRs were all coming out with Randys single comb.
That's right he is the reason so many RIRs are single combed instead of the original rose combs. Randy single handedly changed the breed forever.
Other farms all over the county started wanting to borrow him for their flocks. And of course he agreed. He became very well known up and down the sni a bar and created most all the best hybrids known today. First it was the production reds, then with a flock of barred rock beauties came the black sex links. Another farm raised delawares and so the red sex links were created. Then came crosses with RI white giving birth to golden comets and cinnamon queens.

We were getting calls weekly from one farm or another. Telling me "my hens are feeling the need for Randy to stop by" or "our girls are needing some Randy time". Soon it was just shortened to "feeling Randy" and a new expression was born. His name even made it into the dictionary.
Randy continued burning the candle at both ends for many many more seasons. Putting out more and more chicks. If you have any RIRs, production reds, sex links or even mixes breeds I'd say its safe to say your flock has some Randy in it.
One day in the early fall I was down south delivering some chicks. A wagon was happening by when it broke an axle. In a strange twist of fate it was loaded with 1,000 laying hens. Of course Randy invited them into the barnyard and began doing what he did best. Now Randy was the king of reproduction but it was too many hens even for him.
As I made my way down the drive I saw a horrible site. Buzzards circling around down by the barn. With a sinking feeling I rounded the house and there he was.
I jumped down and ran towards him.
Poor Randy laying flat on his back in a pool of sweat. I wasn't ready for this day. My best ever rooster, a dear friend, gone. Gone too early. Such a fool. He should of known better. No rooster could handle that many hens. What was he thinking. I fell to my knees and as I went to pick him up......
I couldn't believe it. An eye popped open as I heard him whisper as he pointed towards the buzzards.
Shhhhhh I think they're about to land.

rand·y

ˈrandē/

adjective

1. aroused, excited Or lustful

Last edited:
We were getting calls weekly from one farm or another. Telling me "my hens are feeling the need for Randy to stop by" or "our girls are needing some Randy time". Soon it was just shortened to "feeling Randy" and a new expression was born. His name even made it into the dictionary.
Randy continued burning the candle at both ends for many many more seasons. Putting out more and more chicks. If you have any RIRs, production reds, sex links or even mixes breeds I'd say its safe to say your flock has some Randy in it.
One day in the early fall I was down south delivering some chicks. A wagon was happening by when it broke an axle. In a strange twist of fate it was loaded with 1,000 laying hens. Of course Randy invited them into the barnyard and began doing what he did best. Now Randy was the king of reproduction but it was too many hens even for him.
As I made my way down the drive I saw a horrible site. Buzzards circling around down by the barn. With a sinking feeling I rounded the house and there he was.
Poor Randy laying flat on his back in a pool of sweat. I wasn't ready for this day. My best ever rooster, a dear friend, gone. Gone too early. Such a fool. He should of known better. No rooster could handle that many hens. What was he thinking. I fell to my knees and as I went to pick him up......
I couldn't believe it. An eye popped open as I heard him whisper as he pointed towards the buzzards.

rand·y

ˈrandē/

adjective

1. sexually aroused, excited Or lustful
1611034828286.png

leg·end
ˈlejənd/

noun
1. an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.

adjective
1. very well known

a legend in (one's) own time

A person who has an extraordinary level of fame or reputation while he or she is still alive.

Legend
What a strange thing it is to be a living legend. And sometimes even stranger how you became a legend.
No, I'm no legend but I know one.....

Born Randolf Irwin Red.
Son of Rupurt I Red and Roseanne I Red
Red Rock Ranch South Dakota

He was known in my parts as Red Rock Randy and he was notorious.

You ever heard the expression "she was feeling awful randy" or "he was really randy after a couple drinks"
Every wonder where that expression came from?
Let me tell you about Randy......
Yes Randy was from the original RI Red family.
I'm going to have to go back a bit. Once upon a time the chicken world was different then it is now. Chicken breeds were fewer and further between than now and new breeds were being created. In Rhode Island a new breed was being created. The Rhode Island Red.
Now being the first of a new breed is like chicken royalty. But as part of the family hidden from the public eye is a dark secret.
When born into a family in those early breed development stages a young chick is destined to become one of two things. A breeder to go into the breeder groups or a cull to go into the freezer.
Randys mom was a beautiful young pullet. She fit the standard perfectly. Not only that but she was one of those chickens that just pulled you into them. Fascinating to be around. Every cockerel had their eyes on her.
Roseanne only had eyes for one cockerel though, Rupurt. Now Rup was a great looking bird in his own right. And he definitely had the abilities and drive to make it into a group. But Rup had one big problem. He was born with a single comb instead of a rose comb. Single comb was about the worst thing that could happen to a RI Red. Instant DQ. Freezer camp for sure.
As weeks went by Roseanne knew Rup's days were running out but then the strangest thing happened. All the men folk left the farm. Breeding pens were broke down and chickens started free ranging together. Life was taking a wonderful turn. Or was it?
What the reds didn't know was that the civil war had broken out the year before and armies were growing larger and marching up and down the coast.
As the war raged on life got harder for the flocks. The war was ugly. It turned neighbors against neighbors and split families down the middle. As bad as it was at least you had a side and could fight for it.
Chickens had no sides to pick and many flocks were being neglected or left to fend for themselves.
The biggest fear was the armies though. They would march through an area and kill and eat every chicken in sight.
Chickens started fleeing the area. Rup flew the coop and took Roseanne and headed west. No one knows much about the trip but they settled in the Dakota's and found a nice ranch far from the horrors back east.
Life was good and Randy was born in the spring. Rose took to motherhood well and cared for her brood. Well Rup took to making chicks more then being there for them. And was soon sowing his seed all over the prairie. Rose did all she could to keep Rup home but he had the blood and up bringing of a breeder. He soon departed the farm and headed out to find more flocks and larger flocks.
Life was hard for Randy in those early days. Just how hard I don't know. He didn't talk about it much.
As a young juvenile cockerel Randy was purchased and moved south down to the show me state.
The war was wrapping up but life was tough for a lot of families in Missouri that fought for the south. A lot of hatred still existed and Randy showed up with a chip on his shoulder too.
Randy lived on a farm down the road from us. He was a rule breaker and trouble maker from day one.
I first met Randy one afternoon at my farm. Our dogs were barking at the back fence so I grabbed my gun and headed out around the fence. I wasn't quite prepared for what I saw.
There was Randy peaking through a knothole in the fence at some young pullets taking an afternoon dust bath. Randy with his face up against the fence one wing blocking the glare from the sun and his other wing.... Well his other wing was a little busy. I was shocked, suprised, stunned. Randy turned saw me and continued. That was our first meeting.
I marched Randy home with a bit of disgust and wondering what I should do. Should I just drop him off or tell what happened. What an awkward situation.
Seems my neighbor was well aware of Randys ways and this was the last straw.
I felt bad and pleaded for him. Randy was paroled to me and came home to our farm. We talked, set up some rules and he quickly broke every one of them.
Randy had his moms charm, his father's drive and both of their stunning looks along with a single comb like Rup's. Instantly the girls loved him and the boys hated him.
He grew up on the farm and lived life Randys way
While the other cockerels played hide and seek Randy played hide and peek with the pullets.
When they went down to the creek to swim he snuck up the creek with the girls to skinny dip. Basically no matter what new and exciting things the other cockerels came up with to play all Randy wanted to play was with the pullets. When he didn't have any pullets to play with he played with himself. Yes hours in the outhouse flogging himself.
Seasons came and seasons went and Randy grew into a fine rooster with the drive of ten roosters. As he matured and took over as our main rooster things were great. Well for Randy they were but the hens were having trouble keeping up with him.
I decided it was time to expand the flock. As luck would have it the RI reds were now a breed and their numbers had grown so much it wasn't hard to find a flock of 40 hens. Soon demand for our farms RIRs increased and so did our flock. With Randy on the job fertility was 100%. Our flock grew to 100 hens then 200 then 300. Randy was putting out more chicks then all the other farms in our area combined. Randys offspring were sweeping across the country and so was his reputation as the rooster that never stopped. Randys genes were strong and our RIRs were all coming out with Randys single comb.
That's right he is the reason so many RIRs are single combed instead of the original rose combs. Randy single handedly changed the breed forever.
Other farms all over the county started wanting to borrow him for their flocks. And of course he agreed. He became very well known up and down the sni a bar and created most all the best hybrids known today. First it was the production reds, then with a flock of barred rock beauties came the black sex links. Another farm raised delawares and so the red sex links were created. Then came crosses with RI white giving birth to golden comets and cinnamon queens.

rand·y

ˈrandē/

adjective

1. aroused, excited Or lustful

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom