The Moonshiner's Leghorns Battle Edition

Series 2 Round 1

• Total voters
Pics
My sister's dane is the opposite of that. He is such a loveable boy. But he is such a baby. This is the same dog that was tied to a folding chair, got scared of the chair and ran away from it. Imagine a huge great dane, running away at a farm, with a damn folding chair flapping behind him! It's interesting how the same breed can be so different depending on how they are raised
I think a lot also has to do with their breeding.

I think a lot also has to do with their breeding.
Very true. My sister just found out that her breeder had another litter of 13 pups! 7 didn't make it home from the vet(emergency c section for mom dog) and one died at home. Needless to say, the female has been spayed

I have so much pain for that kid right now!
I've never met a friendly dalmatian. 🤷‍♀️
What???
Always heard they are mean but never been around one.
David Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

Really?!
I've been around quite a few. They always had to be put up when company came over.
Awkward Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Never!!!
Dalmations are very family oriented dogs. They usually don't do well with strangers. But in all my years of working at vets and lodging facilities, the breed I've had the most issues with is german shepherds. I know I know, they are great dogs. But they need solid training as pups, if they don't get it, they are a$$hats
So much this. Dalmatians were originally bred as carriage dogs. There job was to stay with the carriage and keep people from messing with it or the horses. So they do still have a tendency to be protective, but ours were so sweet. I mean the one was kind of retarded. She was super inbred (thank you Disney) and partially deaf and horribly behaved when she was younger. But the male, Bingo, was adorable! He loved company. He'd grunt like Tim the Toolman Taylor and he'd crinkle up his face and smile at people. He was in church plays when they needed a lost dog. He was a good baby.

German Shepards (and Belgian Malinois) give me the heebie jeebies. I'm not a fan of them if I don't know them.
Oh for sure. I probably should have re-worded that. I didn't mean they were nasty dogs. Just that they're family oriented dogs. Like don't expect to go do stuff out in public and have people petting them etc. Same goes for Danes too. Most Danes are that way that I've met. I know/have known 8. All but one were "call ahead so I can put the dog up" dogs.
Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

I am shocked! All of my friend's Danes are humongous idiots. lol Super sweet and obnoxious. I can't imagine having to put one up. I only put up the poodles because they look like Sasquatches and have no manners. I've always wanted a Liver-spotted Dalmatian like Perdita.

Very true. My sister just found out that her breeder had another litter of 13 pups! 7 didn't make it home from the vet(emergency c section for mom dog) and one died at home. Needless to say, the female has been spayed
Awe. That's so sad! :( Please tell me you two have seen The Ugly Dachshund?
1638829809437.png

And I have heard that about Dalmatians as well but never met one. Old friend from school got one several years ago but we don’t really talk now so I have never met her. She seems like a good dog though.

I believe breeding is important as well as how they’re raised/trained and socialization, etc. I’m sure there are a lot of BYB Dals (and Danes and Shepherds, etc.) out there that are nasty or have a loose wire up there or whatever. Heck, there’s even aggressive Labs and Goldens popping up now because of their popularity and BYBs and puppy mills cranking them out.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lot of overly protective and/or anxious (often times “protection” is really fear/anxiety) dogs out there. I will say though that meanwhile, every single BBM I have ever met has been the biggest baby in the world and sooooo sweet and friendly :lau :love

Also… shepherds… I still absolutely LOVE them and especially their athleticism, intelligence, and work ethic/drive and enthusiasm and I love watching videos of them work for those reasons but that said… I don’t think I would ever own one anymore. I used to think I wanted one and honestly I still do. I absolutely love the breed. But it’s just way too much liability. I’ve met way too many extremely protective ones. And you can’t exactly breed the protectiveness away because it’s part of what makes the breed what it is.

I mean, theoretically, if the dog had good enough nerves and obedience you could train it to be neutral around everybody but even then, it’s like a ticking time bomb because they’re animals not robots and you never know. I’m not seeing they’re mean, nasty dogs or anything but they’re for sure veryyyyy family oriented and especially protective of their kids.

I actually got attacked on a walk with a client dog by one because kid accidentally let it out of the garage. She didn’t bite but was all up in our faces barking and snarling and chasing him/circling us and it was terrifying.

Back
Top Bottom