The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Lol. Yes luck is always involved and I'm like you. It never seems to be on my side.
Yes your splits will produce 25% that are lavender and 25% that are mottled. The luck will be how many get both. If it was me I'd keep any that are mottled but not lavender. Later breeding them with lavenders will increase the mottled side.

Wow, that's the best answer I could hope for, being I had plans to keep the brown mottled anyways!

I think I am beginning to fall down the leghorn color collection rabbit hole... :D :D

Have you crossed any of these with your Black leghorns?
Yes I did a few years back.
The exchequer and the blacks have the same issues. Smaller size, smaller eggs, poor egg production. They're not the best match to breed.

Sounds like the approach I described would be a breeze for you, then.
The approach you described I believe will get you nowhere. That way of breeding was what I watched others doing when I went the other route.
They never got past the issues and all eventually got out of the variety.

Well I have made it past the half way point. I believe you should do a reality show. I wouldn't miss an episode.
Seeing lots more chicks. So cute. What do you do with so many?
Saw a pic of bags and bags of feed. Is that really a week's worth? OMG if it is. At the point of being in the middle of an incubator build. It is looking very nice and complicated. Need to go see how it turned out. Did you finish it?

The approach you described I believe will get you nowhere. That way of breeding was what I watched others doing when I went the other route.
They never got past the issues and all eventually got out of the variety.

It's a rough route to go, but IMO it's the only route if you want to truly eliminate the gene and not just mask it. My goal is to be able to have a pure lavender line without ever having to cross in browns and mess with splits. If someone's happy with birds that simply don't APPEAR to have it, that's certainly a different goal, I guess. Apparently, most have opted to go that way. I find it a bit frustrating, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom