The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I had to go track down and catch this rooster today and thought I'd share a pic.
If you use the chicken calculator or read about genetics then it's common knowledge that a barred rooster over a silver duckwing will produce a single gene barred black rooster that may or may not have leakage.
I just wanted to show how actual breeding doesn't always follow the books.
As you can see he has a bit more then some leakage. He's a lot closer to looking duckwing then black.
So much for dominate patterns.
20200523_193829(1)(1)(1).jpg

I had to go track down and catch this rooster today and thought I'd share a pic.
If you use the chicken calculator or read about genetics then it's common knowledge that a barred rooster over a silver duckwing will produce a single gene barred black rooster that may or may not have leakage.
I just wanted to show how actual breeding doesn't always follow the books.
As you can see he has a bit more then some leakage. He's a lot closer to looking duckwing then black.
So much for dominate patterns.
View attachment 2156584
That’s interesting, I had one cockerel that was from a white leghorn over a Dominique hen. By all accounts he should have been white with hidden barring because of the dominant white. This is what he looked like.
7464188A-88FA-4055-8455-58F47ACB316C.jpeg

Could it be that those particular animals that were bred just happened to have recessive genes that popped up?
I'm curious to see how the hatch mates turned out in both of those clutches.Were they all the same pattern?Same color variance or different variances?
Is the end result to be blamed on incorrect calculation of "known"genes available or is it due to other unknown genes lurking underneath that were recessive?

Can someone elaborate why there are people that use the term "True white"Leghorns in their descritions of the birds they are working with?
It seems to insinuate that not all white leghorns are dominant White.

Last edited:
I bought three Single Comb White Leghorns from a breeder in January at a show. I put them with my male. One of the females lays a cream colored egg. That should tell me something. I hatch some chicks and some of the chicks have black in their wings and some turned out with Rose Combs. I think there is a mix in there somewhere. The fellow had a Rose Comb that looked in body shape like a White Leghorn. He said kit was a RC RIW. I think he may have had some crosses. I put the male in with my SC White Leghorns and all the chicks came out looking like SC White Leghorns, no odd coloring at all, so I suspect it was the female that lays the cream colored egg.
IMG_20200421_150404 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20200421_150417.jpg

This is their coop so there is no way another male could have gotten in and mated with them. The outer coops are in the background.
IMG_20200421_153748.jpg

Back
Top Bottom