The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I like the red one in the middle. Is it weird I was attracted to it because it made me think of Buckeyes? I’m afraid I don’t have much to say about Leghorns, I only have three, but I enjoy the Leghorns on this thread for the beauty, genetics, and variety. The chick pictures are cute too.

Ya its a black tailed red. Basically the same genetics and coloration as a hatchery RIR.
So you feel you don't have much to add but you still come by and admire the birds?
That's so cool.
I didn't start this thread specifically for leghorn fans. They just happen to be my breed of choice and the only breed I really have to show anyone.
I just wanted to share what I'm doing and to maybe get some to think well if a silly hillbilly can accomplish doing it then I should be able to do it to.
Color/pattern genetics is the same no matter the breed so most anyone can do the sane kinda things with whatever breed they choose as long as tberes a few varieties of them.
And if thats not a journey they want to take and only want to see some different color/patterns or admire chick pics it's all good.

Anyone know anywhere that's still selling DARK brown leghorns?
I know a few years ago a hatchery or two had them but don't see anyone having them now.
Thanks
You might have to go mom and pop.
20191226_084203.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mind that route as long as they're not one of those wanting $20 a chick. Lol
In the past ive found with buying chicks from individuals or small operations that the shipping is a killer. Now eggs are a lot better on shipping prices but then you have to expect a hit and miss with hatching those.

I tried a few years in a row to buy some Dark Browns from Duane Underwood and was unsuccessful. The only person here on BYC I know of who has them is @cmom, very nice birds. They are really hard to find.

Did not expect to find this on a google search for Dark Browns
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=EXLS
Ya. MPC sells them and theirs come from Meyer's so same birds.
I have some ordered for middle of next month delivery.
After knowing exchequer quality hasn't been good from any I've seen and their reviews confirming the same I've seen I wasn't gonna get too excited.
But @Brahma Chicken5000 posted some pics of theirs from MPC and she ain't bad looking. Looks like they may end up being something I can work with.

Back
Top Bottom