The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Oh I have no idea right now.
I was thinning down all winter but now I have quite a few that I've hatched since spring.
I'd estimate 350 - 375? That load was just layer pellets. Total chicken feed I go through 100lbs plus a little a day.
Have you tried foraging and maggot buckets to cut down on feed consumption?

Nope.
Not doing any wild type/ wheaton crosses at this time.
I suspect the one you're looking at is just a black tailed red chick.
I meant on the chick down e allele e+/eWh, Black tailed reds can be had on e+,eb,eWh, from the looks of the chick down it looks to be intermediate between e+ and eWh.

Did you create your black tailed reds?

If I had time and money, I would work on White Tailed Reds, one of my favorite pattern

WhiteTailedRed1.jpg

Last edited:
I meant on the chick down e allele e+/eWh, Black tailed reds can be had on e+,eb,eWh, from the looks of the chick down it looks to be intermediate between e+ and eWh.

If I had time and money, I would work on White Tailed Reds, one of my favorite pattern

View attachment 1484107
No I didn't create my BT Reds. All of them I've ever hatched looked like that. They came from the same source and I'm now on 3rd generation so couldn't see any way they could be e+/ eWh.
I'm about to scrap them as they are and start crossing to my buffs since they need drastic improvement and its too slow going hatching dozens to only keep a couple to continue with.

View attachment 1484107

Now that is a gorgeous bird!!

Back
Top Bottom