The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Those are good, especially the ones with black lacing on them like the Andalusians
I only work in laced blue. I had a very nice blue laced d'Anvers hen, but they like to roost in the rafters and she miscalculated her flight down and landing in a rain catching bucket too deep to fly out of, the water was so cold she was chilled and drowned. I have a lavender splash d'Anvers (please don't cross lavender with blue it's really frustrating!) that I crossed with a black while I thought she was a lavender then a porcelain. With the black she created very nicely laced blue chicks so I realized she couldn't just be a lavender, but they died. Her porcelain cross chicks were lavender considering the very poor feather quality, and light feathering but of course are also blue. We shall see what comes of him and a black pullet.
I meant on the chick down e allele e+/eWh, Black tailed reds can be had on e+,eb,eWh, from the looks of the chick down it looks to be intermediate between e+ and eWh.

Did you create your black tailed reds?

If I had time and money, I would work on White Tailed Reds, one of my favorite pattern

View attachment 1484107
Very beautiful bird.

I only work in laced blue. I had a very nice blue laced d'Anvers hen, but they like to roost in the rafters and she miscalculated her flight down and landing in a rain catching bucket too deep to fly out of, the water was so cold she was chilled and drowned. I have a lavender splash d'Anvers (please don't cross lavender with blue it's really frustrating!) that I crossed with a black while I thought she was a lavender then a porcelain. With the black she created very nicely laced blue chicks so I realized she couldn't just be a lavender, but they died. Her porcelain cross chicks were lavender considering the very poor feather quality, and light feathering but of course are also blue. We shall see what comes of him and a black pullet.

Very beautiful bird.
Do you exhibit at ABA sanctioned shows? The APA hasn't recognized Blue D'Anvers yet. Was your D'Anvers hens laced like the hens in this picture?
IMG_20180722_185724.jpg

Do you exhibit at ABA sanctioned shows? The APA hasn't recognized Blue D'Anvers yet. Was your D'Anvers hens laced like the hens in this picture?
View attachment 1488192
It was blue laced like that, but darker and neater.
On the contrary, the SOP accepts Black, Blue, Cuckoo, Mille Fluer, Mottled, Porcelain, Quail, White, and Self Blue d'Anvers plus the club emblem shows two blue d'Anvers.
The Standard calls for the general "distinctly laced in black" sort of blue, melanised blue, or "Andalusian Blue", or as I call it "laced blue," as opposed to the self variety.

Represented by Bb. Blue is incomplete dominant, as you know.
The ABA accepts many other colors including BBRed. Thank you. ;)

Last edited:
It was blue laced like that, but darker and neater.
On the contrary, the SOP accepts Black, Blue, Cuckoo, Mille Fluer, Mottled, Porcelain, Quail, White, and Self Blue d'Anvers plus the club emblem shows two blue d'Anvers.
The Standard calls for the general "distinctly laced in black" sort of blue, melanised blue, or "Andalusian Blue", or as I call it "laced blue," as opposed to the self variety.

Represented by Bb. BB and bb are codominant, ad you know.
The ABA accepts many other colors including BBRed. Thank you. ;)
I declare, I quite overlooked that
Additionally, those hens in the pictures are younger, that's why the lacing is cr**y. I am soo curious to see a picture of Black Laced Blue D'Anvers. I've never even seen master exhibitors with that much distinction in their Blue D'Anvers.
I did know the ABA had all that, they have everything for bantams I would say

I declare, I quite overlooked that
Additionally, those hens in the pictures are younger, that's why the lacing is cr**y. I am soo curious to see a picture of Black Laced Blue D'Anvers. I've never even seen master exhibitors with that much distinction in their Blue D'Anvers.
I did know the ABA had all that, they have everything for bantams I would say
Yes. That is ok. Quite alright. Unfortunately as I said she and the chicks died. I don't see many blue d'Anvers, who knows, it might be fun to be the only good breeder who breeds just blue and cuckoo, and not all the colors in between, though they are quite interesting in that respect. And everyone who liked those colors would look to me, if you see what I mean. Looking over the bantam standard, I see columbian is accepted in the ABA, as you like it and all, but as many colors as I see, I haven't seen a photo of those more than once. (It was Aubrey Webbs stock of course.)
I haven't had much experience with breeding, but by the third generation, my pet quality ducks are much improved. (With the introduction of quality blood of course, but the drake was from a pet quality pair, and his sister.

Yes. That is ok. Quite alright. Unfortunately as I said she and the chicks died. I don't see many blue d'Anvers, who knows, it might be fun to be the only good breeder who breeds just blue and cuckoo, and not all the colors in between, though they are quite interesting in that respect. And everyone who liked those colors would look to me, if you see what I mean. Looking over the bantam standard, I see columbian is accepted in the ABA, as you like it and all, but as many colors as I see, I haven't seen a photo of those more than once. (It was Aubrey Webbs stock of course.)
I haven't had much experience with breeding, but by the third generation, my pet quality ducks are much improved. (With the introduction of quality blood of course, but the drake was from a pet quality pair, and his sister.
Yea, I'm one of the only Blue Andalusian breeders with quality in North America. Yea, it's the same with Columbian Leghorns, they are apparently standardized yet I can't find a trace of them. I much more prefer the APA than the ABA just because of how the judges are trained. I'm going through APA judge training and it is real tough. ABA judges are easier to become

Yea, I'm one of the only Blue Andalusian breeders with quality in North America. Yea, it's the same with Columbian Leghorns, they are apparently standardized yet I can't find a trace of them. I much more prefer the APA than the ABA just because of how the judges are trained. I'm going through APA judge training and it is real tough. ABA judges are easier to become
I agree with that statement, but not about how the judges are trained. In the ABA they accept any breed you feel like putting into print, like the Pyncheon bantam, that will never be popular. In the standard they make sure the breed is unique and has an army of breeders to defend it, causing it to be popular and with the rise in popularity it would win shows. (Ugh me being poetic.)
I also like some other stuff of course.

Back
Top Bottom