The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I agree with that statement, but not about how the judges are trained.
Huh, explain? After all, like I said, I'm actually into it :rolleyes:
In the standard they make sure the breed is unique and has an army of breeders to defend it, causing it to be popular and with the rise in popularity it would win shows.
That's why I like it more

Could you explain the distinction between incomplete dominance and co-dominance please? I think I may have been using those terms incorrectly.

a co-cominant gene will express both colors at the same time(the degree will change but it will not be a perfect 50%) when both genes are in heterozygous form, for example Dominant White and Erminette phenotype, a incompletely dominant gene will express an intermediate color or color blending, for example Splash x Black will yield a grey colored bird, or another example is the Dun mutation, two copies of dun will give you a light khaki colored bird, but when mated to a solid black will yield a chocolate colored bird

Yea, I'm one of the only Blue Andalusian breeders with quality in North America.
Have you done any test outcross? The late Dr. Clive Carefoot confirmed they were E/E Ml/Ml, Pg/Pg Co/Co, by crossing with Laced Wyandottes and mating the F1s to each other and all of the progeny were laced(except the solid black of course)

a co-cominant gene will express both colors at the same time(the degree will change but it will not be a perfect 50%) when both genes are in heterozygous form, for example Dominant White and Erminette phenotype, a incompletely dominant gene will express an intermediate color or color blending, for example Splash x Black will yield a grey colored bird, or another example is the Dun mutation, two copies of dun will give you a light khaki colored bird, but when mated to a solid black will yield a chocolate colored bird
What is your experience with Dun? I seem to have a Dun based bird in my Chocolate Orps because I have chicks that are hatching looking more like Lavenders than chocolates. I’ll tag you in my post about these birds.

Have you done any test outcross? The late Dr. Clive Carefoot confirmed they were E/E Ml/Ml, Pg/Pg Co/Co, by crossing with Laced Wyandottes and mating the F1s to each other and all of the progeny were laced(except the solid black of course)
That is soo funny, I was just planning yesterday night to buy some Silver Laced Wyandottes and cross them to test it

Ok. I think I get the difference. The way I "thought" I understood incomplete dominance was that in heterozygous form, it causes a partial change, and in homozygous form it causes a complete change. (Or as complete of a change as is going to happen for that particular mutation.)

I think I'm going to have to study up more about the dominant white gene though, because some of my heterozygous dominant whites seem to be a blended patchy "cream" color if they are on a red based bird, but white with black spots if they are on a black based bird. Maybe that "cream" is an optical illusion from white areas and shades of red areas being close to each other.

Yea, I'm one of the only Blue Andalusian breeders with quality in North America. Yea, it's the same with Columbian Leghorns, they are apparently standardized yet I can't find a trace of them. I much more prefer the APA than the ABA just because of how the judges are trained. I'm going through APA judge training and it is real tough. ABA judges are easier to become
I'm digging this up I know, but I found the assumed long dead hen. Thin and a little worse for the wear, but has six fertile eggs (candled em', used to be seven eggs, but one wasn't fertile) under her. We'll move her in the night, and soon find out how many of the eggs are pure d'Anvers. I decided to keep them because the poor thing tried so hard.
IMG_20180803_1609401_rewind.jpg

When you think you've been watering the garden but what you don't know is you've been watering a chicken as well...

I'm digging this up I know, but I found the assumed long dead hen. Thin and a little worse for the wear, but has six fertile eggs (candled em', used to be seven eggs, but one wasn't fertile) under her. We'll move her in the night, and soon find out how many of the eggs are pure d'Anvers. I decided to keep them because the poor thing tried so hard.
View attachment 1492490
When you think you've been watering the garden but what you don't know is you've been watering a chicken as well...
That's adorable!

Back
Top Bottom