The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Anyone ever have one of these? Seen one?
View attachment 2357116
I'll take you for a ride in the way back machine. All the back to when The Moonshiner got started raising birds. Go pee first its a long ride.
Way back in the day things were a bit different before the internet came along.
You couldn't just search, click, buy like now. And when you were a kid there really wasn't many options. One option was ads in comic books and magazines.
I'd grown up around birds but didn't have any of my own. During the summer break before my 5th grade year that was gonna change.
Of course there were ads for some amazing stuff. X ray glasses that you could see through clothing with. Hmmm interesting. Plans for how to build a hovercraft from a vacuum cleaner. Hmmm exciting. Then I came across an ad like this one....
View attachment 2357118
Ok it may of not been the coolest thing out there but I was fascinated. I could start a quail empire and make some money.
My grandma was my go to source for never saying no and I would need someone with a checkbook and a stamp. I plead my case and she was quickly on board. As it worked back then I filled out an order form, enclosed a check and snail mailed it on its way. I happily, impatiently waited the 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
Then one fine day it arrived.
View attachment 2357120View attachment 2357122View attachment 2357123View attachment 2357125
My first incubator and included were 5 quail eggs. 1 egg was broken but after reading half the instructions I was ready to go. 4 eggs went in and I marked the calender for hatch day.
Luckily quail don't take 3 weeks to hatch so I survived the wait and actually hatched 2. They were a pair so I was off and running.
To be continued later....
Dude,
Those graphics on those toy boxes bring back a lot of memories;please tell me that you have a Six Million Dollar man and a G.I. Joe action figures.

Dude,
Those graphics on those toy boxes bring back a lot of memories;please tell me that you have a Six Million Dollar man and a G.I. Joe action figures.
Lol, no six million dollar man. I was a bionic woman fan. I do still have a G I Joe with a WW2 motorcycle somewhere. Unopened.
My favorite by far was Evel Knievel. Had all his stuff.

20201002_191245(1).jpg

And your reasoning? Im asking because Im interested.... :)
I never saw the parents but they did hatch from a large white egg
Be interested in your thoughts
Large, red comb and visible waddles at 4 weeks, BIG tell tale. That is for the first 2. For number 3, the comb and wattles didn't look as big or red, but the pics weren't really good. 4, it didn't have a large or red comb and looks like a pullet to me from posture and structure. You probably have leghorn crosses of some kind.

Back
Top Bottom