The Moonshiner's Leghorns

He told me how many months old they are, I think about 5 months? One is about a month younger than the others, and I think the roo is about 6 or 7 months? Here are a few more pictures of them. Guess I'll have to take some better pictures of them.

I'm planning to turn a 10 x 12 building into a coop and attach a good sized run, and yesterday I found someone who can help me with that project. Then in the spring there'll be plenty of room for more chickens.

View attachment 2415104View attachment 2415107
When you get some more pics, post them here. I almost feel like the guy you bought them from either fibbed a bit or just didn't know.... But they almost look like California Grays.

He's beautiful!

OK, I'm going from confused to very confused. White hides black? White is or isn't a good color to put with cuckoo leghorns?

If you had cuckoo leghorns and wanted to produce more cuckoo colored ones but couldn't get your hands on more cuckoo colored breeding birds, what color would you use? White? Brown? Something else?
You’d probably want to use white. As Amer said, dominant white actually doesn’t hide much. The other type of white, recessive white (which leghorns don’t have), is the one that hides other colors underneath. Dominant white (which leghorns usually have) is pretty straightforward. If you breed a cuckoo rooster (if he has two cuckoo genes) to a white hen, you’ll get offspring that are white with a few cuckoo feathers. Breed them to a a cuckoo and half the offspring will be cuckoo (though the roosters may only have one gene for it).

Last edited:
When you get some more pics, post them here. I almost feel like the guy you bought them from either fibbed a bit or just didn't know.... But they almost look like California Grays.

He shows and judges leghorns, and that's what he told me they are. I'm not interested in showing, just having nice egg layers.

You’d probably want to use white. As Amer said, dominant white actually doesn’t hide much. The other type of white, recessive white (which leghorns don’t have), is the one that hides other colors underneath. Dominant white (which leghorns usually have) is pretty straightforward. If you breed a cuckoo rooster (if he have two cuckoo genes) to a white hen, you’ll get offspring that are white with a few cuckoo feathers. Breed them to a a cuckoo and half the offspring will be cuckoo (though the roosters may only have one gene for it).

Thanks. White with a few cuckoo feathers sounds pretty, too.

6 week old White roo

You can spot a bit of cuckoo in lefthand bottom cnr

Attachments

• 20201113_184211.jpg
    20201113_184211.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom