The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I was thinking about getting brown leghorns and was reading about them in this thread.
Any recommendations on where to find quality hatching eggs?
I have access to white leghorns through the Texas a&m hatching program… 30 eggs for $37, but I don’t particularly want white.
There used to be a strain of blue egg laying brown leghorns. I’ve looked everywhere but I think they disappeared. I love the looks of brown leghorns.

I was thinking about getting brown leghorns and was reading about them in this thread.
Any recommendations on where to find quality hatching eggs?
I have access to white leghorns through the Texas a&m hatching program… 30 eggs for $37, but I don’t particularly want white.
Unfortunately no I do not.
I looked a few years ago and learned most "quality" ones aren't very quality so I gave up online shopping.
I found a breeder not super far from me but they've since gave up leghorns.
@Amer might be able to find a listing in her APA stuff.

There used to be a strain of blue egg laying brown leghorns. I’ve looked everywhere but I think they disappeared. I love the looks of brown leghorns.
Ya someone on the forum used them to start a blue egg laying Wyandotte line.
I haven't heard of anyone else that has or has had them. CCL probably filled that niche for many.

I might add a few leghorns next year. My current fenced yard area is 6ft high. Will they try to fly over that? Will wing-clipping help?
Mine have always easily went over 6' fences. Everyone says it's correct to only trim one wing. That hardly stopped them for me. I've had to trim both wings way down to keep them in 6'. Even then I've had one or two flap like hell and walk up and over 6' chainlink.

There’s no other like Don Schrider
B9CDAD14-B499-4243-9466-D31E549A32CA.jpeg

Those are good looking birds! I’ll have to look him up online. I did find these on my local Craigslist but I’m looking for eggs not grown birds.
View attachment 3716636
No offense, but those are some of the worst Leghorns I’ve ever seen.
Edit:sorrry, I think that was too harsh.
It’s just they are poorer than hatchery quality.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom