The movie Coraline, just some thoughts.

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Georgia
Saw the movie friday and just wanted to give some of the families a heads up.
They say its from the director or creator of the Nightmare Before Christmas, that for one should give you a good idea of how strange the movie will be and it doesnt disappoint.
Okay I hate spoilers and giving parts of movies away but I think this is for a good cause as I know alot of you have children.
Parts of this movie are not appropriate for young children.
1. The use of "pasties" on a woman's breasts. I kid you not !
2. Coraline is helped by the ghost of three children murdered by the "other" mother, and has taken and hidden their eyes around the house.
3. Creepy imagery in general, sewing up of eyes and mouths.

My opinion is the goth and emo kids are going to eat this movie up just like Nightmare Before Christmas but its not a family movie.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I know my daughter saw a commercial for it on TV and wants to see it, but she's only 10 so I'll have to look into it more before letting her see it. I also have a 6 year old, and it definitely does not sound very family-friendly.

It bugs me that they like to make adult cartoons that look appealing to the kids. I have hard time explaining to them why they can't watch certain cartoons...like Family Guy...
hmm.png

PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter :

1. The use of "pasties" on a woman's breasts. I kid you not !
2. Coraline is helped by the ghost of three children murdered by the "other" mother, and has taken and hidden their eyes around the house.
3. Creepy imagery in general, sewing up of eyes and mouths.

Ewww Ewwww Ewwwwwww.​

Tim Burton is very dark and weird I don't like him or his movies very much. They are not chidren's movies but people take their kids to them because they are animated.

Just look at him and Helena Bonham Carter

1996_helena-bohnam-carter-tim-burton-vivienne-westwood.jpg

They have issues and often promote a death and afterworld image in their lives.

He must have been one srewed up kid who was excused as being artistic and creative and no one saw his dark tendencies.

I've watched the two animated movies that Tim Burton made previously. I watched them with my kids(Over ten). I do not think that death is an inappropriate topic for children. The Lion King though was more upsetting to my kids then Nightmare Before Christmas.

The pasties over the breast do concern me, but I won't watch the movie until it comes out on DVD. I can preview it before I let my kids watch it. If it is basically all right, I will just fast forward past the inappropriate parts. I also watch movies with my kids and stop the DVD to discuss certain parts.

Dark imagery doesn't bother me nearly as much as certain themes that are common in most kid movies such as disrespect for elders, presenting all men as stupid, showing attaining knowledge as being somehow nerdy, and an unrealistic view of animals(Disney drives me nuts).

I read the book before I saw the movie. The animation was neat. I kinda like the dark stuff. Neil Gaiman is very talented so I wanted to see it.

You have to know your kid, whether they could handle seeing it or not. When I was coming out of the theatre I saw LOTS of little kids (under 10) parents were probably thinking "Oh it's a cartoon, my kids will love it" Eh Wrong.

Yes that bouncing lady with the pasties was a little overdone, I even squirmed a little - there was a little boy in the seat in front of me with a uncomfortable look on his face. He was probably 8 yrs old.

Hint: Read about it before you take your kids to see it. Just because it's a cartoon type movie doesn't mean it's for all kids.

But I liked it.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I have the book in the back seat of my car!
I wanted to read the book before I go see the movie, but I do want to see it. Tim Burton is a strange & twisted man, but with 2 teens I KNOW this movie will be watched repeatedly by my kids once it's out on DVD.

Gotta finish Nation by Terry Pratchett first, though...

I LOVE Burton...as do my kids... but we are a horse of a different color
lol.png
Not all genres are right for all people for sure... I find that Netflix's new movie rating system is extremely handy when judging which movies we can watch as a family if I haven't already screened them myself. Also there's http://christiananswers.net/spotlight/home.html and they provide lots of details for those who would like to know just what IS in a movie.

My DD wants to see Coraline.... she loves the macabre
smile.png
But, we have to wait now for it to come to DVD
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom