The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    And I have a question... I would be really interested in a list or resource concerning the additions to the FF. I understand the reasoning behind adding garlic and cayenne, but there are a lot of other additions people have listed without the reasoning behind them. I'm hesitant to just start adding things to their feed without good reason because 1) that could potentially be a waste if I'm adding things that they don't need or that don't benefit them, or if I'm adding the wrong amounts, and 2) their digestion and physiology is considerably different than ours, so I know better than to assume that just because it's good for me that it's also good for them. I would assume adding chickweed, comfrey, and nettle would be okay and beneficial (I've served them those mixed with scrambled eggs before after stressors... often when I come home from being gone for several days, because it seems like being confined to the run that long stresses them out). But is there a list out there, or could we start to compile one?

2. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    All fixed!

3. Bulldogma

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Great question!

Everyone - that's your cue to post about what things (other than grain/feed) you put in your FF and why?? I'll make it into an article. [​IMG]

4. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    I too have been wondering about this. I haven't tried malign fermented feed my self, I'm afraid I'm going to do something wrong and poison my girls.... I would love some tips on how to make it. I live in the desert, and its hot already. Does this change the process of making it?

5. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Basil - antibacterial, mucus membrane health
    Catnip - sedative, insecticide
    Cilantro - antioxidant, fungicide, builds strong bones, high in Vitamin A for vision and Vitamin K for blood clotting
    Dill - antioxidant, relaxant, respiratory health
    Fennel -laying stimulant
    Garlic - laying stimulant
    Lavender - stress reliever, increases blood circulation, highly aromatic, insecticide
    Lemon Balm - stress reliever, antibacterial, highly aromatic, rodent repellent
    Marigold - laying stimulant
    Marjoram - lay stimulant
    Mint (all kinds) - insecticide and rodent repellent
    Nasturtium - laying stimulant, antiseptic, antibiotic, insecticide, wormer
    Oregano - combats coccidia, salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian flu, blackhead and e-coli
    Parsley - high in vitamins, aids in blood vessel development, laying stimulant
    Peppermint - anti-parasitic, insecticide
    Pineapple Sage - aids nervous system, highly aromatic
    Rose Petals - highly aromatic, high in Vitamin C
    Rosemary - pain relief, respiratory health, insecticide
    Sage - antioxidant, anti-parasitic
    Spearmint - antiseptic, insecticide, stimulates nerve, brain and blood functions
    Tarragon - antioxidant
    Thyme - respiratory health, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-parasitic

Fresh or dried herbs in your nesting boxes not only work as insecticides, but also have anti-bacterial properties, and can act as natural wormers, anti-parasitics, insecticides, rodent control, stress relievers and laying stimulants. They will help a laying hen feel safe and relaxed while she is sitting, and calm a broody hen, as well as repel rodents, flies and other parasites. Plus they look so pretty !

They will also benefit newly hatched chicks. Research has shown that wild birds will line their nests with fresh herbs and flowers, especially those that contain essential oils. The newly hatched baby birds benefit by rubbing against these herbs in the first few days of life. Same applies to baby chicks. The chicks will also eat some of the herbs, thereby garnering even more health benefits from them

6. Bulldogma

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Check out This Link.

7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    For me, whenever I add anything to the fermented feed, I just add it to the feed bowl. Any of the things listed I might feed, I just don't ferment them right in the ferment container.

8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Quote: Delisha
    Curious where you got the real thing?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  9. Bulldogma

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop