The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I do not add anything to my fermented grains. The whole reason for fermenting the grains is that they have anti-nutrients that block absorbtion of a lot of nutrients (both macro and micro) by the bodies normal digestion in single stomached animals, and the fermenting (or sprouting) of these grains makes the nutrition more accessible. To my knowledge the things mentioned as additives (garlic, herbs, peppers, cuberits etc.....) have no such digestive inhibiting issues. During the growing season my girls get many of these things free choice either grown in thier normal range area or given to them from the garden. I am such a proponent of the K.I.S.S. method of most everything. My life is complicated enough w/o complicating my chicken habit. jmho

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Del - I'm thinking you don't FEED all of those herbs you listed but use some of them for nest boxes, etc., as insect repellant....

Can you specify which ones you DO FEED vs. the ones you use in the nest boxes, etc.?

4. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I do the same, K. I don't add anything else to my ff WHILE IT'S FERMENTING. I just feed them the other things in addition to the feed.

5. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Very nice! Thank you. Now when you say laying stimulant, what exactly do you mean? It will encourage late bloomers to start, or hens that have stopped laying to start again?

With everything that can be used for antiseptic, fungicide, and pain relief; how do you apply these? Through the feed or would I make a solution and directly apply it to the chicken?

The sedatives and stress relievers, how would one apply these to calm a chicken down before a stressful situation, ie. before a physical examination, during a move.

Can any of the herbs that fall under the anti-parasitic and insecticides be ground up and the powder be placed directly on the chicken?

Last but not least, are there specific amounts(eg. grams/per lbs of chicken) that have to be.measured before administering? I know some plants can be super beneficial in small amounts, but can cause toxicity issues when overdone. I guess that is the case for anything though.

I am putting all this wonderful information into my chicken notebook for future.references. y'all are so nice and sharing with all your wonderful knowledge. Thank you! I can't say the same for other threads I've been on.

6. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Here's another article on using the herbs in the nestbox or dustbath area.

7. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
  8. jeepgirl13

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    One thing I forgot and a couple more question.s now that I've read the lasts posts.

I have read on here multiple times parsley is poisonous to chickens. Same for citrus. Is it one of those things where its poisonous in large amounts/frequent feedings?

If the orange peels are not poisonous, do I put them under the hay in the nest boxes, mixed in or on top? Here in southern Arizona its already 80° and we have a HUGE fly problem already so I'm looking to try and repel those. I've also been finding those GIANT cockroaches in my HOUSE! Don't laugh so loud I can hear you, but I am absolutely irrationally terrified of those things. They freak me out so bad I almost have panic attacks. Will any of the aforementioned herbs repellent those as well?

9. jeepgirl13

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Thank you for the links! Checking them out right now!

10. jeepgirl13

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Very well done article. Just out of curiosity, what are some of your guy's favorite tried and true secret mixtures of herbs? If your willing to share that is! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by