The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

This above picture is taken from my doorstep, looking out at my coop
The above is my Aussie just outside the chicken pen
The above is to the left of the coop. Just past the tree line is a 10 foot drop to the creek and then straight uphill of all woods.

This shows how close the creek and woods is to the chicken coop. Nothing has gotten into the fence. I credit the dogs for that.
We've seen coyotes just on the other side of the creek and foxes all over. My city hubby chased a raccoon back across the road to the other side and told me he wouldn't come back. I'm now in charge of the gun.
My point of these pics is to show how easy it would be for predators and I'm afraid to say this, but we haven't had any. Only the hawk that the hen turkey beat up.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
If you use a larger bucket wouldn't more feed be fermented as more would remain to continue fermenting?

Fact is feed is easier to digest and there is no loss due to scattered feed or picky eaters and if I smell the fermentation then darn it all... it's fermented lol! It's worth it regardless.

I gotta question/vent. I am chicken sitting my neighbors flock while they are in Mexico. We have been doing this for 4 years now and they are one of the reasons we got our own flock. I am in their coop tonight just checking out his birds(all HQ) and notice about half of them appear to have scale mites. Their legs look swollen, but no scales popping up. It makes me a little sad that his approach to letting chickens be chickens approach. His birds range in age from 8mo-4+yrs. Several birds sleep in the community nest area(which means poop covered eggs). The roosting area is 6'x8' for 27 birds(too small IMO). But they are an older couple(60+) and don't know if I should or how to say something. My birds look sooo much healthier than his. I am not putting his eggs with mine(I sell my extras), so his eggs are what we will be eating. They have raised chickens for decades. They have an 8'x8' covered run on back of roost area and free range during the day. They use a little hay in the coop, it is pretty muddy. I don't know what to do if anything. Suggestions would be appreciated.
That is pretty tuff. Doing for a neighbor is a good thing. Start a wood fire and make a little dusting area, and use some Nu stock on the legs. Perhaps you could pick up a bail of hay for yourself and bring half to their coop and spread it on top,stir it up a bit. People our age do not see as well as you young people do and we appreciate a helping hand. if you completely change things they might be offended. If you do little things they might be appreciative. Use your good judgment and it should work out great. If they have leg mites you are probably bringing them home to your birds. It would be a good idea to get rid of them if it is a practice of yours to trade chores. Spray neem oil on all roosting areas. I am sure they would love for you to spruce things up a bit.

Quote:
If you use a larger bucket wouldn't more feed be fermented as more would remain to continue fermenting?

Fact is feed is easier to digest and there is no loss due to scattered feed or picky eaters and if I smell the fermentation then darn it all... it's fermented lol! It's worth it regardless.
It is one of my DH's complaints..the FF bucket. it sits in front of the sink. it stinks, its in his way, and he hates it...poor fella

I gotta question/vent. I am chicken sitting my neighbors flock while they are in Mexico. We have been doing this for 4 years now and they are one of the reasons we got our own flock. I am in their coop tonight just checking out his birds(all HQ) and notice about half of them appear to have scale mites. Their legs look swollen, but no scales popping up. It makes me a little sad that his approach to letting chickens be chickens approach. His birds range in age from 8mo-4+yrs. Several birds sleep in the community nest area(which means poop covered eggs). The roosting area is 6'x8' for 27 birds(too small IMO). But they are an older couple(60+) and don't know if I should or how to say something. My birds look sooo much healthier than his. I am not putting his eggs with mine(I sell my extras), so his eggs are what we will be eating. They have raised chickens for decades. They have an 8'x8' covered run on back of roost area and free range during the day. They use a little hay in the coop, it is pretty muddy. I don't know what to do if anything. Suggestions would be appreciated.
This ain't non of my concern but I will say what I would do. Take some nu-stock over and put on legs. three days later I would do it again. At that same time I would clean the coop and white wash it.
White wash (My recipe)
In a five gallon bucket
1 gallon barn lime
!/2 box mule team borax.
Hot water till it is thin enough to paint with.
2 cups salt dissolved in hot water.
Stir every thing together
Let set over night for at least 12 hours
Stir again add more water if it needs it to paint with.
Put on old, old cloths and a pair of safety goggles not glasses.
Take a 6 inch paint or dry wall brush slop the white wash on with a painting motion, Get it everywhere roost in the cracks all over the walls. No need to be neat you will see why after it dries. Reapply litter same kind they had before.
You have done killed every creepy crawly critter in there. That's why out buildings were white washed not for looks.

I am sure when they get home and you say what you did they will be grateful. If not just say You ask if I would look after the chickens and I did. I WOULD NOT ASK FOR MONEY FOR DOING THIS I WOULD DO IT BECAUSE I AM NEIGHBORLY.

That is pretty tuff. Doing for a neighbor is a good thing. Start a wood fire and make a little dusting area, and use some Nu stock on the legs. Perhaps you could pick up a bail of hay for yourself and bring half to their coop and spread it on top,stir it up a bit. People our age do not see as well as you young people do and we appreciate a helping hand. if you completely change things they might be offended. If you do little things they might be appreciative. Use your good judgment and it should work out great. If they have leg mites you are probably bringing them home to your birds. It would be a good idea to get rid of them if it is a practice of yours to trade chores. Spray neem oil on all roosting areas. I am sure they would love for you to spruce things up a bit.
Forgot about the wood ash. Very good idea. I would still whitewash though that's how pest were controlled in the old days.

Regardless of whether my feed is actually fermented or not, my chickens are doing great. They look better and I use less. I might try a small bucket, leave it for a week or so and test it out. I don't like the smell after a couple days, imagine after a week.

My dog has been itching incessantly, I spray the ACV diluted with a little water and spray it in his fur and rub to be sure it gets to the skin. His itching got so much better. His skin, not so red.

Forgot about the wood ash. Very good idea. I would still whitewash though that's how pest were controlled in the old days.
I had asked a while ago about white washing. My grandparents and uncles all had dairy barns and white washed. As soon as warmer weather gets here, I'll do it.

I had already hit the "multi-quote" botton - but Delisha and PigeonGuy beat me to it. You have some good advice here! There's a link to buy Nu-Stock (if you don't already have some) on the blog's "Gr8 Products" page as well as a recipe to make it on the "Recipes and DIY" page.

And PigeonGuy - I may have to add your whitewash recipe to that page. That's some good info!

Back
Top Bottom