The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I moved my broody into the tractor after about a week of setting(wanted to make sure she was committed at 6 months old). I moved her at night. I kept her and the chicks locked in for a week, then started letting them range with the flock. She would coop back into the tractor.

@ aoxa and stonykill, My Ausie is 12 and has cataracts and is loosing his hearing. Nose works great, he smells the coyotes when they are around. My DW and I are going to be getting a pup in Feb when we get back from Hawaii. That way we can bond to the pup before my Ausie passes or has to be put down.
How big is your Aussie? Ours came to us as a stray the month after we moved here. He's now almost 9. 82 lbs. His joints aren't what they used to be. How long has yours been having issues with eyes and hearing? Aren't they wonderful? I'm positive that Cooper would enjoy a chicken lunch if I weren't paying attention.

How big is your Aussie? Ours came to us as a stray the month after we moved here. He's now almost 9. 82 lbs. His joints aren't what they used to be. How long has yours been having issues with eyes and hearing? Aren't they wonderful? I'm positive that Cooper would enjoy a chicken lunch if I weren't paying attention.
Chance is about 75-80lbs. We got him when he was 10mo old, the people that bought him could not trust their son with him(behavior issues). He is pure Tri-Color Working Breed(We lost his papers in a move). His eyesight has been going for about a year now. His hearing in the last 6 months. I think part of his hearing is ear-mites(I treat with baby oil, but then he doesn't hear at all for 2 days). I will be taking him to the vet to get updated shots and ears checked after Hawaii(hoping it is just the mites causing hearing issues). Chance only shows interest in the chicks, although I don't think he would eat one. He got too close to one with my broody and she let him know that he was too close(big peck to the nose). My rooster and Chance will sleep on the porch next to each other. He also has arthritis, so he sleeps inside at night during the winter months, which means I get to hunt raccoons(they stay away if he is out). Got me a HUGE male last weekend, 35-40lbs and almost 3' hanging from feet to nose.

Hello all!
frow.gif
Just came across this thread. Seems interesting and lots of info already. I have not yet started fermenting feed yet but I am planning on it soon. Im just trying to find the easiest and benefited way of doing so.

I'm thrilled to see more new faces here!

Cluck - you might find this link interesting.

Leahs Mom - what a beautiful chick! Keeping my fingers crossed you get some more!
fl.gif

Everyone's snow pictures are beautiful! And they make me shiver just looking at them - LOL. (I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather!)

As for predators, saw an opossum tonight... being chased by one of my neighbor's cats! GOOD KITTY!!

I gotta question/vent. I am chicken sitting my neighbors flock while they are in Mexico. We have been doing this for 4 years now and they are one of the reasons we got our own flock. I am in their coop tonight just checking out his birds(all HQ) and notice about half of them appear to have scale mites. Their legs look swollen, but no scales popping up. It makes me a little sad that his approach to letting chickens be chickens approach. His birds range in age from 8mo-4+yrs. Several birds sleep in the community nest area(which means poop covered eggs). The roosting area is 6'x8' for 27 birds(too small IMO). But they are an older couple(60+) and don't know if I should or how to say something. My birds look sooo much healthier than his. I am not putting his eggs with mine(I sell my extras), so his eggs are what we will be eating. They have raised chickens for decades. They have an 8'x8' covered run on back of roost area and free range during the day. They use a little hay in the coop, it is pretty muddy. I don't know what to do if anything. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm thrilled to see more new faces here!

Cluck - you might find this link interesting.

Leahs Mom - what a beautiful chick! Keeping my fingers crossed you get some more!
fl.gif

Everyone's snow pictures are beautiful! And they make me shiver just looking at them - LOL. (I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather!)

As for predators, saw an opossum tonight... being chased by one of my neighbor's cats! GOOD KITTY!!

Thanks I found that link very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom