1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    1 more plucking would speed things right up. The rest goes really fast.

1 person likes this.
  2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    Leahsmom, they are beautiful

3. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Hello all! [​IMG] Just came across this thread. Seems interesting and lots of info already. I have not yet started fermenting feed yet but I am planning on it soon. Im just trying to find the easiest and benefited way of doing so.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
    None of us in the true sense are fermenting (except maybe kasaundra) and not sure she even is. What we do is get a partial ferment going. To ferment you have to let it set for weeks or that is my understanding anyway.
    I am doing pretty much as you are. Take 1/3 out in morning add dry and more water back in take 1/3 out at night add dry and more water back in. What we are essentially doing is growing good probiotics and swelling the grain. Softening it to make it easier to digest the probo's help them absorb more protein.

5. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
  6. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I just try to maintain the scent and the fermentation bubbles. I don't always add, or stir. I stir once a day when I take out their morning feed, and when I add fresh feed to the mix. I have had the same bucket since day one, going on.......a month now maybe? I'd need to go back and find my post date on the FF.
    I just use one 2.5 (?) gal bucket, water, UPACV, laying mash and scratch. More mash than scratch.
    Just feeding them about 1 quart a morning, for 11 chickens...4 of the hens laying.

7. rowerjen

rowerjen Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2012
    Western New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

Dang. Gotta wipe the coffee off my monitor again.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

We have 1 killing, 2 processing. I am catching and bringing killed birds up to the house for processing. I will probably kill a few as well. I just need someone to walk me through it first. I've done the axe and block - but I'm now doing the killing cone and jugular.

Should I keep them off food? It will be 13 hours until it's light enough for them to try to eat.

I decided just to let them be and catch them as soon as we wake up and go from there. We have visitors at 2. Giving ourselves until 1 to do it. 4 people involved. MIL, Fiance, Best friend who has lived with us until just a month ago, and me.

I'll add 2 hours to Stony's time, as we are doing it for the first time. :p

1 person likes this.
  9. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
    I am talking about what I put in the FF bucket not in the water.
    Every thing I say is just what works for me. I have had birds from the time I was 11 or 12 years old and I am now 53. I have not always done the FF but have used ACV I think for-ever at my place. I don't really measure it for the water in the summer just put in a little. If I put to much I see they don't drink very much if they are not drinking why bother. So I say put in what your birds will tolerate and drink readily.
    I am not even watering now they get enough water from the FF and don't drink from the water-er so why bother would I recommend it heck no it has only been two weeks not long enough to know if it works. Will I tell you about it heck ya that is what we are doing sharing what works for us.
    Many years ago I heard to put a table spoon ACV to a cup of water for my own consumption. I cant drink that it taste terrible so I kept cutting back till I could drink it I decided 1 teaspoon is OK for me so that is what I do.
    Since you can't see me for body language I want you to know this is all said in a nice tone. I appreciate your opinions as much as anyone.

10. SandBsmom

SandBsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    Hey all. I have another broody hatching question. Do you keep your mamas in a separate space from the rest of the flock the whole time she sets? Only at the end? and if you do, at what point do you let her bring the chicks into the general population?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by