The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

This above picture is taken from my doorstep, looking out at my coop

The above is my Aussie just outside the chicken pen

The above is to the left of the coop. Just past the tree line is a 10 foot drop to the creek and then straight uphill of all woods.

This shows how close the creek and woods is to the chicken coop. Nothing has gotten into the fence. I credit the dogs for that.
We've seen coyotes just on the other side of the creek and foxes all over. My city hubby chased a raccoon back across the road to the other side and told me he wouldn't come back. I'm now in charge of the gun.
My point of these pics is to show how easy it would be for predators and I'm afraid to say this, but we haven't had any. Only the hawk that the hen turkey beat up.

Last edited:
None of us in the true sense are fermenting (except maybe kasaundra) and not sure she even is. What we do is get a partial ferment going. To ferment you have to let it set for weeks or that is my understanding anyway.
I am doing pretty much as you are. Take 1/3 out in morning add dry and more water back in take 1/3 out at night add dry and more water back in. What we are essentially doing is growing good probiotics and swelling the grain. Softening it to make it easier to digest the probo's help them absorb more protein.
Okay thanks pg at least what we are doing is a benefit, I was beginning to doubt my own method, I did start another bucket this afternoon so I can have one going a bit longer. It's a good thing we don't get alot of company since I have buckets sitting in my house now with ff in them.
tongue.png
Course unless i take the top off the bucket there is no smell. and i like the smell actually.

Hey all. I have another broody hatching question. Do you keep your mamas in a separate space from the rest of the flock the whole time she sets? Only at the end? and if you do, at what point do you let her bring the chicks into the general population?

I moved my broody into the tractor after about a week of setting(wanted to make sure she was committed at 6 months old). I moved her at night. I kept her and the chicks locked in for a week, then started letting them range with the flock. She would coop back into the tractor.

@ aoxa and stonykill, My Ausie is 12 and has cataracts and is loosing his hearing. Nose works great, he smells the coyotes when they are around. My DW and I are going to be getting a pup in Feb when we get back from Hawaii. That way we can bond to the pup before my Ausie passes or has to be put down.

Hey all. I have another broody hatching question. Do you keep your mamas in a separate space from the rest of the flock the whole time she sets? Only at the end? and if you do, at what point do you let her bring the chicks into the general population?
If she is in the fav nesting box then you will have a problem because all you layers will be laying in her nest box, if she is in one that isn't being used then let her stay. she will bring out the chicks when she is ready. usually 3 days is about the time they bring them out. Sometimes you may need to put her in her own space and let her sit, if thats the case try to make is so she can still see the flock and them her it will make it easier for her to integrate the chicks. Be sure if you let her stay with the flock that you mark the eggs she starts with or the hatch will be so staggard she most likely won't stay till all are hatched plus she may get too many eggs and not be able to cover them all. Leahs Mom has chicks hatching right now and can give you some personal advise on what might be best in your situation.

Once a broody sits tight, I move her nest to a dog crate inside the coop. After she accepts the new spot, I leave it open so she can leave to eat, drink and poo. The other hens lay in the nest boxes, so there are no extra hens laying in the broody-nest. So separate but not confined away. Only then will I give her hatching eggs.
If she doesn't accept the nest, she wasn't setting tight, and has 'broken herself up'. So far, my broodies are happy wherever I put them, so long as they have some eggs (or golf balls) to sit on.

She introduces the peeps to the flock when she decides to, usually around 2-3 days old, or whenever she decides it is time for them to leave the nest and begin learning to eat and drink.

This above picture is taken from my doorstep, looking out at my coop

The above is my Aussie just outside the chicken pen

The above is to the left of the coop. Just past the tree line is a 10 foot drop to the creek and then straight uphill of all woods.

This shows how close the creek and woods is to the chicken coop. I credit the dogs for that.
We've seen coyotes just on the other side of the creek and foxes all over. My city hubby chased a raccoon back across the road to the other side and told me he wouldn't come back. I'm now in charge of the gun.
My point of these pics is to show how easy it would be for predators and I'm afraid to say this, but we haven't had any. Only the hawk that the hen turkey beat up.
Beautiful

Back
Top Bottom