The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

X2

I still read and enjoy this thread, but I've realized that there is a bit of a difference in the meaning of "natural" as it is being used on this thread (where it references more of an "organic" means of raising) and "natural" as it is used on the OT thread (where it references more of a no-nonsense, practical means of raising). I'm totally not trying to ruffle any feathers, just commenting on an observation. :)

I see that too, like people who say they free range their birds in a 10x20 pen! Lol, I thought free ranging was letting them wander and forage wherever they want, but that's just me.
1f609.png
I too am not meaning to make anyone mad, it was also my observation.

X2

I still read and enjoy this thread, but I've realized that there is a bit of a difference in the meaning of "natural" as it is being used on this thread (where it references more of an "organic" means of raising) and "natural" as it is used on the OT thread (where it references more of a no-nonsense, practical means of raising). I'm totally not trying to ruffle any feathers, just commenting on an observation.
smile.png
Once you add one bird that is a carrier of a disease that wipes out your flock, you will know why we talk biosecurity and it's importance.

Adding birds you have not properly quarantined is a risk.

There are some people I would add from without quarantine (Camille), but with the rate of ILT in our community, I could have my entire flock exterminated by the government if my gamble didn't pay off.

Thanks for the link Leah's mom :) I have actually read it in the past but it is a good article.

Purchasing healthy birds off your property is a possibility. Do some research first before you purchase. Eggs are a risk. Diseases can be passed threw eggs. If someone is selling diseased eggs, others have gotten them too. I make sure others have hatched from them before I purchase.

Bio Security:

Isolate all new bird for two week in an area away from your flock for two weeks. Observe and note anything that seems off. Feed and water new birds last. Wash before and after. Keep a disposable paper jumper at the door with paper shoes. Hand sanitizer.
Add one bird from your flock to the new birds and observe for two more weeks. Feed last.

Cull all birds if any signs of illness are present at anytime.

Justine can give you the information and numbers to call for Canada and the steps you need to take.

Delisha, thank you for the input!

Unfortunately quarantining did not wok in this case or we picked up MG elsewhere and brought it home ourselves. Test results are not in but based on the symptoms, they agreed that is was most likely MG.

I am probably thinking in overkill terms but what about things like the outside of feed bags? Is there something one could mist everything with? Unfortunately I cannot find oxine in BC and am allergic to bleach.

Thanks for the link Leah's mom
smile.png
I have actually read it in the past but it is a good article.
Delisha, thank you for the input!

Unfortunately quarantining did not wok in this case or we picked up MG elsewhere and brought it home ourselves. Test results are not in but based on the symptoms, they agreed that is was most likely MG.

I am probably thinking in overkill terms but what about things like the outside of feed bags? Is there something one could mist everything with? Unfortunately I cannot find oxine in BC and am allergic to bleach.
I ordered Oxine online and had it shipped. A little goes a long way, but it is EXPENSIVE to ship!

I use it to clean show cages, incubators, boots, etc.

I guess if you are raising so many chickens that the government is getting involved, you need to operate like a poultry business, and you need to operate with your biosecurity measures following government standards.

I guess if you are raising so many chickens that the government is getting involved, you need to operate like a poultry business, and you need to operate with your biosecurity measures following government standards.
No, the government will get involved if you have 2 chickens or 200 chickens. Does not matter. It is a reportable disease.

All it takes is one person telling someone else that your chickens are coughing. Than that someone tells someone else.. and so forth. Someone feels so threatened they call the department of agriculture, and they investigate. If I knew someone had birds with ILT, I would call the DOA if the owners of the sick birds did not agree to do so themselves.

Last edited:
Would a bleach moat be considered natural?! Then everyone would have to swim or drive through to get to my germ free chicken fortress!
Genius! Hahaha!

Seriously tho I have no intention of wearing paper suits and booties but if adding one or two small steps to my routine could prevent me from having to wipe out an entire flock of animals or spreading something nasty to nearby farms so be it.

Likewise the flock that will most likely be terminated is currently on antibiotics. A first for our birds and definitely not natural but I see no need to allow them to suffer.

I think all natural methods are wonderful and practice them myself. However, certain situations call for unnatural practices to prevent or treat a suffering animal.

Quote:
I keep any new birds separate and I feed them last but I don't use the paper aprons or shoes. But for the first week to 10 days, my DH feeds and waters the new birds and I feed and water the current birds. It just worked out that way for us because I have only gotten roosters that were full grown and well they had to adjust to our area before I would go near them.
But there is a lot of good about keeping them separate. It gives the new birds time to build up their immunity to the germs and such on the new to them property. It would be horrible to put a healthy bird in with the flock, only to have the new bird get a cold and be pecked to death.
Still it would be even worse to wipe out an entire flock because one new bird got added early.
I vote for maintaining bio-standards as much as one feels they can do.

Some people do think bio security is unnatural. I wonder why.

Safety is important to me. There is nothing wrong with integrating a flock on a first day if you understand the risks and are willing to take that risk.
There is nothing unnatural about being safe either. IMO A hen will take her new chicks to an area where there is less traffic and less build up of poop the first few days. She lets them peck at her poop to build up immunities first, than will eventually let them be full time around the flock. Even a chicken knows the importance to a *little* at a time.

I am NPIP. Bio Security measures are part of that program.

The question was geared to safety and NPIP in Canada..
would the correct answer to be.*.this is a natural thread and we do not believe in safety and NPIP measures?* Again I am curious

Just a thought and yes, chickens are not infants or human, chickens are animals. I am using this as a visual only. Some will understand a bit more since most have experience.

New infants
You bring them home from the hospital and boil nipples, scrub all surfaces they touch, make sure no one has a cold and washes hands before handling. You don't do that to be unnatural, you do that to give the baby time to build immunities. Eventually you slowly tapper off and add new things and are not so *sanitizer* crazy. Unnatural? Perhaps to some.

So tell me why you think safety measures are not natural? i am curious.

I called the Animal Health Centre myself as I wanted my birds tested.

All flocks under 100 birds are considered small flocks here. We currently have about 55.

In fact, if these birds test positive, they will not force me to cull. It's voluntary on my behalf.

Back
Top Bottom