The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Lol you all made me laugh this afternoon. Thanks I really needed that. Oh, and vegans are very firm believers they are right and everyone else is wrong. It is hard being vegan because all the meat eaters want you to eat meat and hound you about it. Some even sneak meat into the foods they cook for vegans, like they won't taste it. Just walk away or eat meat in front of them, you won't win with most.
I would NEVER do this to a vegan or vegetarian. My best friend is vegetarian. We cook vegetarian when he comes to dinner. I have no problem eating veggie burgers (especially the portabella mushroom burgers).

We went to stay with him and his friends for a week in Toronto. Both Susan and I ate vegetarian for a week. I never shoved anything meat related at them, and they were great about it as well. Not all vegans are like this. PS: I can't and won't do tofu. lol

Seems it happens mostly on the internet.
lol.png

Lol you all made me laugh this afternoon. Thanks I really needed that. Oh, and vegans are very firm believers they are right and everyone else is wrong. It is hard being vegan because all the meat eaters want you to eat meat and hound you about it. Some even sneak meat into the foods they cook for vegans, like they won't taste it. Just walk away or eat meat in front of them, you won't win with most.

Camilla, go for you to stand your ground and your horses or beautiful!

Delisha, not sure if I want snow, but I would take spring and fall weather.

I took photos yesterday, hopefully I can post them tonight.
Thanks Midnightroo. For those who dont know me I am the most accepting and loving person usually. I have friends from all walks of life, religions and beliefs because I accept people for who they are and dont judge. I even have friends who support Peta we just choose not to talk about it lol. What I dont like is unnaceptance. If someone wants to pray for me when Im sick. doesent matter what religion their in, Im humbled. If my vegan friends bring me some food Im flattered. Again its when things are shoved down someones throat that I have issues. Ive gotten into trouble before because of it XD. But then again Ive made some of the most amazing friends before of it as well! Faith, belief religious and non can be a beautifull thing.

Thanks Midnightroo. For those who dont know me I am the most accepting and loving person usually. I have friends from all walks of life, religions and beliefs because I accept people for who they are and dont judge. I even have friends who support Peta we just choose not to talk about it lol. What I dont like is unnaceptance. If someone wants to pray for me when Im sick. doesent matter what religion their in, Im humbled. If my vegan friends bring me some food Im flattered. Again its when things are shoved down someones throat that I have issues. Ive gotten into trouble before because of it XD. But then again Ive made some of the most amazing friends before of it as well! Faith, belief religious and non can be a beautifull thing.
Makes sense why we get along so well!
frow.gif

I would NEVER do this to a vegan or vegetarian. My best friend is vegetarian. We cook vegetarian when he comes to dinner. I have no problem eating veggie burgers (especially the portabella mushroom burgers). We went to stay with him and his friends for a week in Toronto. Both Susan and I ate vegetarian for a week. I never shoved anything meat related at them, and they were great about it as well. Not all vegans are like this. PS: I can't and won't do tofu. lol Seems it happens mostly on the internet.
lol.png
I own a cottage food law home Baking business, wedding cakes mostly, but I have done some vegan cakes, and I too would NEVER sell something that was not vegan to a vegan customer. That's just wrong!

Last edited:
I own a cottage food law home Baking business, wedding cakes mostly, but I have done some vegan cakes, and I too would NEVER sell something that was not vegan to a vegan customer. That's just wrong!
My mom works at a kids camp and deals with vegetarian,vegan, gluten allergies etc. Deffinetly shouldnt sneak stuff into it! I like cooking for different dietary issues its a fun challenge

Does anyone else find it strange that for hundreds of years people have raised chickens without paper suits and hand sanitizers, and changing their shoes 3 times? There's nothing wrong with being cautious, but in a "natural" chicken keeping thread, some of this seems a bit unnatural ! Lol. I had 4 chicks bought from 3 different places, got to more from another different place, I integrated them over a 24 hour period, a little bit at a time. Everyone is healthy and happy. I guess because I'm not a huge "breeding" "processing" operation, that letting my chickens just be chickens is a bit easier for me.
1f609.png

I am in the process of getting goats. I was all ready to just let them free-range and go natural within my property boundaries (and still am). I think in terms of how deer have survived for ages without intervention. Someone pointed something, however, that made a lot of sense to me. They told me that when the deer need nutrients that they aren't finding in one place, they move to another. And another. And another. Because there is not the confinement of being fenced into one limited property to get all they need...even if the property has many acres, in the wild, they have access to many many miles to find what they need.

I have taken that into consideration as I'm getting ready to add more livestock and raise them "naturally".

When it comes to adding birds to a flock...you have to consider that "modern factory farming" practices have produced animals that are less than healthy for several generations. Folks buy from hatcheries that have bred poor genetics and health for generations. People buy them, hatch new ones, then sell to others. Some of those "weaknesses" are there whether we like it or not and sometimes cause problems even in the best of "natural" chicken keeping.

For those of us that purchase "old genetics/heritage", there is still the point that they are moved long distances to different parts of the country - and even totally different countries - that was not possible not that long ago in history. "Great Grandma" may have shared some chickens with a neighbor, but she wasn't likely shipping them from New York to CA.

Just some food for thought.

And...I have to say that I'm one of the most "natural" people I know in my approach to animal husbandry by trying to duplicate a setting for them that is as close to what they can get "in the wild"... I've just had to realize some of the issues that we often don't take into consideration and tweak some things when needed.

Back
Top Bottom