The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I emailed the company asking which preparation to use for parasitic worms/eggs in the soil since I didn't see any chicken/dog worm names on their pest list. I got a reply a couple hours ago stating that they have no such product but have heard that some people use DE and they could sell me that instead. I'm a bit disappointed. On the upside, they do have lots of other good stuff that could come in handy if I ever learn to grow plants
smile.png

thanks for posting the results of your enquiry! that would have been really exciting if they had an appropriate product.

My coop is a little more than 3 feet off the ground, and is such valuable space I would not block it off. In the winter, it is the main outdoor area because it is free of snow and provides multiple dusting spots. WIth hay bales blocking off the wind, it is sheltered too, and open to the south so the low winter sun comes in.

In the summer, I remove the bales for better air flow, and on hot days the flock takes shelter underneath from sun. Mind you, there is plenty of shade with all the pines in the run.

A predator call, rooster alert - they all go running under the coop.

If my coop was low to the ground, though, I would consider blocking it off as Leah's mom has done.

I emailed the company asking which preparation to use for parasitic worms/eggs in the soil since I didn't see any chicken/dog worm names on their pest list. I got a reply a couple hours ago stating that they have no such product but have heard that some people use DE and they could sell me that instead. I'm a bit disappointed. On the upside, they do have lots of other good stuff that could come in handy if I ever learn to grow plants :)

Bummer! Well its interesting to play with either way; I figured maybe the nematodes would give the worms worms lol ;)

I use some of the microbes to start my compost, too, so it might be something to help kickstart a DL method, and there are some in there for mosquito and fly control, so it doesn't always HAVE to be in a garden ;)

Last edited:
Bummer! Well its interesting to play with either way; I figured maybe the nematodes would give the worms worms lol ;)

I use some of the microbes to start my compost, too, so it might be something to help kickstart a DL method, and there are some in there for mosquito and fly control, so it doesn't always HAVE to be in a garden ;)

Give the worms worms - lol! If only :p

Yeah I did think about the fly/mosquito ones... but I'm not sure it's a good idea to treat the "designated wetland" just by my backyard :p Plus, gotta keep the chickies in "candy" ;) I also considered the beetle/grub ones, but then I'm getting a couple pigs this year who'll probably thoroughly enjoy taking care of them for me while turning them into delicious bacon! :-D I will say, though, that the spidermite one caught my eye - I've lost a bunch of house plants to those buggers :(

With 3' under the coop, depending on the size and accessibility, it would be feasible to put some litter under it.

oh, there is - 8 years of hay, leaves, droppings, etc. but for the most part, it is very dry under there and nothing really breaks down. For a couple of years, I used to dump water under the coop to try to get some moisture in there, and at different times I've crawled on hands and knees and turned the soil with a trowel. So it is time to clear it out (won't the garden be happy) and dump some fresh garden dirt under there.

Just seems like a ginormous undertaking.....

oh, there is - 8 years of hay, leaves, droppings, etc. but for the most part, it is very dry under there and nothing really breaks down. For a couple of years, I used to dump water under the coop to try to get some moisture in there, and at different times I've crawled on hands and knees and turned the soil with a trowel. So it is time to clear it out (won't the garden be happy) and dump some fresh garden dirt under there.

Just seems like a ginormous undertaking.....
Yeah, that's an undertaking that I'd not undertake!!! But taking the stuff from under would be good for the garden. How big is your coop? Perhaps you can just rake it out from all 4 sides, then toss some hay or what ever under there. No way would I be crawling under there!!!!

@lalaland

Bee update...

bee-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'm continuing to research different approaches to beekeeping without foundation in various types of "long" hives. Haven't come to a full conclusion yet, but I'm leaning toward using frames with NO FOUNDATION rather than only top bars.

It will still be done without stacking boxes, so working in the hive won't require lifting heavy boxes up and down, but can use some standard sized frames to make things more interchangeable with the rest of the world - and likely less expensive as well. Bees still build their own comb, natural, hopefully more healthy and treatment-free with no chemical residue in the wax.

I'll update when I know what we're going to do. I may have to put it off for another season due to needing more time to learn before making a final decision. Bees need to be installed in my area around April 1 and I may have too many other things taking up my time to be able to pull it off that quickly. We shall see.

I've been "conversing" with experienced beekeepers from all over the country via email and have learned a lot from varied perspectives. Very interesting and it seems that I'm starting to get a better handle on things and can maybe make a better informed decision before too long.

When we finally get a hive setup I'll have the birds and the bees.
tongue.png

Hey everyone hope all is well. Here is an update on what we have been up to

Been trying to figure out hatching in incubator at higher altitudes lol. And of course picking on the mean rooster, he apparently remembers what happened when he matured and wouldn't behave with the girls we went and got 4 leghorns that schooled him on how to treat the hens, we went and brought 8 more hens into the flock, lol now he sits on top of the hen house just being a bobble head counting the hens.

Our flock laid about 6 weeks longer than anyone else around here this winter, And even when we were hitting -40 they did fine other than the Barred rock rooster lost most of his comb, didn't loose any of the flock. Rooster may irritate us frequently but he does protect the hens well, about gave me a heart attack when went out and he was covered in blood. checked him and wasn't his so checked the rest of the flock and wasn't theirs either. Have a breeder that is interested in the cross I got from the barred rock rooster over buff orpington hen, Was an offer couldn't refuse but he's gotta wait not getting sweatpea, he's willing to give me a black marans cockrel when they hatch out of his flock for some of that cross I did.

Leah's mom, this is great! I will be happy to take advantage of all your research and thinking on this - a beekeeper offered to set me up this spring, but like you I am just not ready yet and also this will be a busy spring. So maybe in a year or two....

Slordaz,
sounds like you decided the blood on the rooster came from some critter he attacked to protect the flock?

These danged bobwhite quails that I took in - I'm worried they are starting to pair off - based on seeing some feathers that had been pulled out. Apparently with bobwhites the females select the lifetime mate, and then will take on other females and fight to the death. You are supposed to separate them when the mates have been selected and before the fighting begins. How, is a mystery to me because you can't handle them. Perhaps ones that have been tamed as chicks, but these are definitely feral.

They will sit on my hand to eat treats but only if I am still. Slight movement causes them to flee. How the heck this will happen, I don't know. And there are no separate quarters til spring that can be built. yikes.

Back
Top Bottom