The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Haven't been here for a while, been stressed.... One of these days I will share.....

I still have Buck, the dog of terror..... Buying 50 1 year old Comets hens, all laying..... for $3.50 each..... meeting him at an auction barn tonight.... we will see what we get..... Buck sleeps inside now and is happy on a cable during the day. In fact if I don't find a home for him.... other than mine, he will probably be kept outside simply because he gets hot inside. Never seen a dog with a thick of coat as he has.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Anyone that has followed my blog and knows about Molly, a runt pig that was given to us.... I took her to the processor yesterday, she wasn't doing well and could hardly walk. I won't keep an animal in pain, not sure if the inspectors will even clear the meat.

My goose started laying.... guess I am her gander. She squats for me.....

Going to learn a lot about hogs this spring.... 2 prego sows..... got to get the boar secure and the girls set up.... hopefully it will warm up before I am surprised and some killed. Going to have to lean how to cut the boys too.....

Anyhow, hope everyone is well,

Shawn
Neighbor buys comets or red sex links or production reds don't really know which and never ask from an Amish egg farm every spring. These are laying.The farm has thousands and replace every spring. He pays between 50 cents and a dollar for them depends on the year. Wish you were closer I'd hook ya up. He told me what does not get sold is killed and used as fertilizer. He buys 1 to two hundred a year and truly free ranges them roost where you will no coop no fences. Predators take all but a few by the next spring but his kids always bring in fresh eggs. He buys no food for them because they have 50 acres of grass and other stuff to eat in warm weather and in cold weather they eat with the hogs. No cost involved except purchase price and the little hog food consumed. Not bad to have eggs year round with no worries for 1 hundred dollars a year. I know it cost me way more than that for my few chickens.

I got 6 beautiful chicks last Friday at my local Southern States. I'm amazed at how fast they are growing! Soon enough they'll be out with the big girl's.

I wondered if anyone has seen this on their chick's feet before. One of our chick's, Lily, has one toe on each foot that is turned outward. None of the others looks like that.

I am actually a little worried about the new additions. I found the guy on CL, he said I was on a waiting list nut he would have a bunch more in a week. My maintenance man is meeting him at an auction barn to pick them up.... all 1 year old, all hens, all laying.... for $3.50 each....
Too good to be true.
What are my fears? Mareks for 1.... I have bought and rescued from small farms.... but an auction barn?
Condition, I can deal with.... a little fresh air, free range and feed.... sickness..... I will get a look at them tonight and make a decision.
Do the have clipped beaks or bare backs. All the ones I spoke of have clipped beaks. There is also a leghorn egg place around hear that will give them to you at certain times but they are bloody barebacked.

Sorry terrible iphone pic!
This was Post 10'000 I don't have fancy smiles but here go'es.
wee.gif
yesss.gif

Last edited:
Help! I have 6 - 8 week old chicks. I'm running out of room in the house for them. DH built that nice growing pen for our screened in porch. I have it set up for a lamp inside the box part and a small door for the run. The room I'm keeping them in is about 60 degrees. No way that I can get it colder with creating a draft. Our nights are still getting down to 20 and today it was sunny but 30. Will the transition kill them? They will always be able to get in the coop part that will be warm. Can I safely move them? sue I'd like to move them right now.

Another poult hatched today. Someone once told me how hard they were to hatch.
lau.gif

If you are worried, put a timer on the lamp so it only comes on at night. Every couple of days raise it 5" to wean them off it. Should be off it in about 2 weeks or less this way. Make sure you start it out so temp under the lamp is just a little cooler than what they are used to. That is what I did when I moved the Silkies to the tractor.

So a question from a newbie then -

My Blue Maran pullet was born sometime between April and June, we got her after Christmas. She started laying the end of January and was laying every 3 days. Then a month later she stopped. I don't have a clue what normal molting looks like, but she appears to perhaps be molting? Is it normal for a 7-9 month old pullet to molt? Her comb is still red, but not as vibrant as it was a month ago. What signs should I look for to make sure that it isn't something like egg binding?
Jen,
Pullets are really not normal yet. I am glad you are concerned and it sounds like something you should be watching. Lack of color means something is up and yes, it could be molt. Unusual, but, it is possible. You need to examine her and check her stomach and vent area. Feel for an egg. Her belly should be soft and pliable. Molt can look and act like so many different things. Some birds molt and you simply can't tell by behavior, other act like they are misrable. Do the exam and please get back to us.
Haven't been here for a while, been stressed.... One of these days I will share.....

I still have Buck, the dog of terror..... Buying 50 1 year old Comets hens, all laying..... for $3.50 each..... meeting him at an auction barn tonight.... we will see what we get..... Buck sleeps inside now and is happy on a cable during the day. In fact if I don't find a home for him.... other than mine, he will probably be kept outside simply because he gets hot inside. Never seen a dog with a thick of coat as he has.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Anyone that has followed my blog and knows about Molly, a runt pig that was given to us.... I took her to the processor yesterday, she wasn't doing well and could hardly walk. I won't keep an animal in pain, not sure if the inspectors will even clear the meat.

My goose started laying.... guess I am her gander. She squats for me.....

Going to learn a lot about hogs this spring.... 2 prego sows..... got to get the boar secure and the girls set up.... hopefully it will warm up before I am surprised and some killed. Going to have to lean how to cut the boys too.....

Anyhow, hope everyone is well,

Shawn
Shawn,
It is such a pleasure to see you. Sorry you are having some issues. You always seem to have you plate full and yet find room to stick more on it. Cutting piglets is a piece of cake.
Well...I have a question about curious Silkie chick behavior. One chick (the Paint) is chirping in distress loudly. Jumps straight up and acts like fire ants are biting his whole body. The other chicks are not. He is biting his legs and wings frantically. This is really out of the ordinary, even for Silkie chicks in my experience. My gut tells me this chick may be experiencing an allergic reaction to my FF chick starter. I added Cayenne, Garlic, and dried flaked Oregano this morning to the mix. He eats and drinks normally but I noticed projectile pooing an hour ago.

Thoughts?
Hmmm..anything is possible
Take them off FF for a few days and keep us updated. I would give extra A and or pol i vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom