The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Wlhtx, I think this is a good discussion. Please dont drop. Discussions like this is what has taught me the little I know how to take care of my chickies. I have only had them a year. People lime me need this stuff out there to research.
Every time I google a question I have, I am brought to a discussion here. I like to get opinions on what has worked for ALL others. Then I draw my own conclusions.

Someone else had mentioned how great grandma didn't swap birds with folks across log distances. I was just setting out an argument to the contrary. I agree we aren't living in the 1840s. It's just a discussion.

I'm only a recent reader of this thread and I don't have all of your locations known by heart. But whoever was so vehemently advocating on behalf of bio security mentioned an abundance of disease in her area. Aoxa maybe? I may be confusing her with someone else, but I thought maybe she was from the Pacific Northwest. Maybe not...

I am not trying to argue that any who feel strongly about bio security should change their methods. You've raised your flock for 40 yrs. I've had mine for 2. I'm still learning, which is why I followed the previous Road Less Traveled thread onto this one. However, I did want to set forth an alternative argument of doing things when it comes to adding new birds to an established backyard flock. Maybe my way will come around to bite me in the butt in the future. Maybe I lose all my birds. Maybe I don't. I just choose not to stress out about it. Again, just an alternate method being set forth for the random newbie reader (like I was a yr ago) who is overwhelmed at the extra steps some of you take and then claim are "common sense" for natural chicken keeping.

I'm going to drop it now. No more from me on this.
No worries. I enjoy the discussion but I'm also an old timer that has 'been there, done that' and I have had my share of sick birds in the past. Sometimes when a methodology of flock raising doesn't work, it can indeed come back and "bite you in the butt." This is how we learn.

I am of an age now that just throwing a bunch of chickens loose and hoping for the best is not a smart option. Some may call that the ultimate way to raise birds 'naturally'. I learned that yes...Some birds will make it but in the long run you will be replacing them continually.

This thread is peopled with all sorts of flock raisers. Masters, beginners, and many in-between. It is hard to keep everybody straight sometimes. We have people popping in from all around the world. I love all the differing opinions. Makes this thread my favorite.
thumbsup.gif

So the Buff Silkie I got a couple weekends ago appears to have gone broody, says my wife as I am 150miles from home. I told her to leave her sit and collect any eggs she may lay and to take the couple out of the fridge to start warming them up. When I get home Friday I will check her and if she is indeed broody I will put her eggs under her Saturday. Yay, the breeding process begins. Need to see what kind of chicks they are gonna produce so I can determine if I need to change out the cock. And still waiting on first egg from Marsala, the lead poison survivor, going 8-9 months old now.

Last edited:
Quote: I am actually surprised i have not lost any..they are suffering. I am so glad I have an oppertunity to change out water often. Many panting birds today. The humidity was just awful. All the birds were hiding today. I rarely saw any of them. I was putting water way out in case some wandered deep in the brush. I do not have many containers left in the house...lol glad Joe is not home. My new chicks were out in the blazing sun sunbathing. I brought them in the house. Made me to nervous.
Wlhtx, I think this is a good discussion. Please dont drop. Discussions like this is what has taught me the little I know how to take care of my chickies. I have only had them a year. People lime me need this stuff out there to research.
Every time I google a question I have, I am brought to a discussion here. I like to get opinions on what has worked for ALL others. Then I draw my own conclusions.
glad google is bring you here. It is a busy thread with tons of info.
It sucks you work so hard and such long hours...I could not do it.

Also trying to decide which dark egg layer to go with. Leaning towards Welsummers as I understand that they are more productive layers than the Marans. Has anyone tried both?

Welsummers seem made to free-range, they are independent, noisy and great foragers. Many times their eggs are speckled. I've found the Black Copper Marans to be skittish and not so bright (one of mine drinks by plunging her entire head under water, eyes open... and when the head comes out of the water the nictitating membranes twitch like crazy, it really is hysterical/pathetic to watch), and also aggressive towards other birds. Your mileage may vary.

Well where I live is definitely the pacific north west and is often warm and wet. (Hot and dry lately) I know that MG is prevalent all over North America. When it does not have a host, MG dies quickly especially in sunlight so I think it has less to do with the climate and more to do with the bird contact. I was told at the lab that they call it "Poultry Market Disease" as markets and feed stores are the most common source.

As far as ILT goes I have no idea but know that Justine is on the opposite side of the country.
Yes, you are further away from me than the person you are replying to is ;)

ILT is everywhere. You wouldn't know unless you asked your department of agriculture.

Some places have high incidents of Mareks, Blackhead and Cocci.

We do not have incidences of Mareks and Blackhead here (at least not for many years according to the vet).

[/quote]

I knew when we bought tjis place I would have to work like this. No other way to give my kiddos this kind of life. It is worth it.

But it's ok to complain once in a while, right? ;-)

Where is joe? Out of town like scott? Men these days! Lol
We could have a ladies night if I wouldn't pass out on you lol

Someone else had mentioned how great grandma didn't swap birds with folks across log distances. I was just setting out an argument to the contrary. I agree we aren't living in the 1840s. It's just a discussion.

I'm only a recent reader of this thread and I don't have all of your locations known by heart. But whoever was so vehemently advocating on behalf of bio security mentioned an abundance of disease in her area. Aoxa maybe? I may be confusing her with someone else, but I thought maybe she was from the Pacific Northwest. Maybe not...

I am not trying to argue that any who feel strongly about bio security should change their methods. You've raised your flock for 40 yrs. I've had mine for 2. I'm still learning, which is why I followed the previous Road Less Traveled thread onto this one. However, I did want to set forth an alternative argument of doing things when it comes to adding new birds to an established backyard flock. Maybe my way will come around to bite me in the butt in the future. Maybe I lose all my birds. Maybe I don't. I just choose not to stress out about it. Again, just an alternate method being set forth for the random newbie reader (like I was a yr ago) who is overwhelmed at the extra steps some of you take and then claim are "common sense" for natural chicken keeping.

I'm going to drop it now. No more from me on this.
It is one disease that is prevalent, not a high disease rate.

I am North East. Wayy out east.

I knew when we bought tjis place I would have to work like this. No other way to give my kiddos this kind of life. It is worth it.

But it's ok to complain once in a while, right? ;-)

Where is joe? Out of town like scott? Men these days! Lol
We could have a ladies night if I wouldn't pass out on you lol[/QUOTE]
Hey, 112? You have a right to complain!!

I lost a rabbit at 108. It is beautiful today. Early 80s, with low humidity. I wish every day was this nice.

Back
Top Bottom