The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quick broody update.

Even though they're on the roost at night, mamma did NOT kick them to the curb like she did last time. She's still hanging out with them and caring for them.
clapping-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

ETA: Just went out to be sure everyone got in and she's on the floor w/the kids in their place again after having spent 2 nights on the roost. So this is a new way of mothering for her.
If it is unusually cold she might be trying to keep them warm..or..she is in moult and wants to avoid the cockerel..roosters and cockerels usually leave a mother with chicks alone and do not try to breed them.

Turtle - is that vent sexing something you are doing just w/the silkies or can you do it with any breed?

And..how did you learn?
caf.gif

I am doing it on bantams and LF. I am doing it at one month so it doesn't hurt the bantams since they are so small, plus the part I am looking for is a little more pronounced. I have been using a B Sal Fav for my baseline on male parts. Knew he was a boy at 3 weeks from feather color sexing. Been checking him weekly ever since and checking the other chicks as the grow. I learned from "Raising Chickens for Dumbies". It has some good illustrations to go by.

Last edited:
When they look so bad, don't you ever wonder if you did something wrong?
ep.gif

ETA: Just after my broody hatched, she lost about all of her feathers. It was pathetic but good timing egg-wise I guess
roll.png

Last edited:
I love it when they moult..all those ugly beat up feathers come in so nice and bright. You can use it as a tool to make sure your husbandry practices are working. Those birds that are taking a long time to feather in are ones to watch for the next year and something to make note of in your records. You can examine old feathers and look for stress marks in your flock.

I love it when they moult..all those ugly beat up feathers come in so nice and bright. You can use it as a tool to make sure your husbandry practices are working. Those birds that are taking a long time to feather in are ones to watch for the next year and something to make note of in your records. You can examine old feathers and look for stress marks in your flock.
Can you explain more about looking at old feathers for stress marks?

Back
Top Bottom