The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

And she got some liver this morning too :D

@armorfirelady

Are you alive out there?

Yes worked 20 hours and came home to sleep for a little while, my son and worked on getting snow off a flat roof and getting a path to the road. I went to feed hens and realized coop was bent almost in half in the center. We evacuated them to the garage in dog crates. My son got the snow off the coop roof and away from the walls and ends. One end was bowed in but better now, they will be staying in the garage till the snow melts some. Suppose to be in the 60s Monday so I don't want to put them back in the coop because I'm afraid it's going to be flooded.

I had 4 dog crates so we attached 2 of them together to give them more room. Big girls in larger crates and peepers in smaller ones so there is no bickering.

We got over 7 ft of snow.i think the storm has finally passed

Wow @armorfirelady even the chickens have to live in a hotel because of the storm.

Good thing you have the crates around! I think that is something that every chicken owner needs to have around is animal crates. I always keep my eyes out for them on CL and get them whenever they're available.

I noticed something today.

I was cutting up a venison liver into tiny pieces to give to the chickens. It's the first time I have had a totally thawed venison liver to chop.

What I noticed was how totally different the texture of this liver is from the beef liver I've had in the past. It was firm and felt healthy to the touch. It wasn't too slimy to cut into tiny pieces - which is what I experience with the beef liver I've had in the past.

I get the beef liver from a butcher shop that only sells hormone/antibiotic-free meats. But the livers I've had were NOT from grass-fed. They were just from local farms that don't use antibiotics and hormones. They could have been fed a good amount of grains that could have been heavily sprayed with herbicides/pesticides....there's no guarantee of what they are fed.

Anyhow, it was actually easy to chop this liver into tiny pieces but the beef livers are so "mushy" that it's hard to cut them up unless they are partially frozen.

I think I may have just seen the first really healthy liver I've ever seen. There is no comparison.

I noticed something today. 

I was cutting up a venison liver into tiny pieces to give to the chickens.  It's the first time I have had a totally thawed venison liver to chop. 

What I noticed was how totally different the texture of this liver is from the beef liver I've had in the past.  It was firm and felt healthy to the touch.  It wasn't too slimy to cut into tiny pieces - which is what I experience with the beef liver I've had in the past.

I get the beef liver from a butcher shop that only sells hormone/antibiotic-free meats.  But the livers I've had were NOT from grass-fed.  They were just from local farms that don't use antibiotics and hormones.  They could have been fed a good amount of grains that could have been heavily sprayed with herbicides/pesticides....there's no guarantee of what they are fed.

Anyhow, it was actually easy to chop this liver into tiny pieces but the beef livers are so "mushy" that it's hard to cut them up unless they are partially frozen. 

I think I may have just seen the first really healthy liver I've ever seen.  There is no comparison.

Makes me wonder what shape our livers are in. We have a farm shop nearby....but it is sad how expensive the healthy meats are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom