The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

And....here's the "best of both worlds"
big_smile.png

0.jpg

And....here's the "best of both worlds"
big_smile.png

0.jpg
that is amazing. who would have thought. an inexpensive (probably around 30 dollars) manual meat grinder and that trusty drill that we could not live without. now just fashion some sort of heavy duty metal funnel to go in the slot at the top of the grinder and shove in that whole cow.
lau.gif

Quote: Most definitely not a deal if one has to pay shipping. And shipping is dependent on how far away from RK you live. TX is a ways. For me the with shipping and tax price was 76.92 then a 30 rebate card. We get some of our feed from RK so a rebate card is almost as good as a coupon but that is not the case for all states. Now in store the price is 63.18 with a $30 rebate mailed out in about 4-8 weeks, no paperwork as the rebate is typed in online. It would have been a nice deal, If I wanted to get out in the cold.

I am not going that way in the next couple of days and I want the grinder soon so I did order one off of amazon. Not the $40 heavy duty one as it was back ordered. But I did get one that was on sale, had a coupon and came with prime shipping. In all the total was in line with the harbor freight grinder when shipping was included. The one I got is now out of stock too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HCC2480/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know the kitchen aid one would work BUT I love my kitchen aid mixer for baking everything from bread to cookies. I can't bring myself to risk having to replace the entire mixer because I overheated the motor grinding up turkeys.

HELLLP!

So I was browsing the chicken chick blog and read about poultry lice and thought even though my girls wouldn't have it I decided to look. One of my older pullets does!! So I can only assume they all do! Do u use DE to treat them? How do I do it!? AGHHH I'm all itchy now lol

And I'm going to keep my eyes open for one at the salvation army, restore, or yard sales. That's more my speed. Buy used, spend pennies, and multi-purpose my drill. I bet it would work better than one with a motor.

I saw one at our local thrift store and thought about buying, but did not- it was about $10. may have to go back today. I got some deer meat and wanted to grind it. I used my cuisinart food processor and it worked fine. mixed it with regular grass fed beef burger to made the most wonderful shepard's pie. I do have a friend with the kitchenaid attachment that I can borrow.

Back
Top Bottom