The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Two of my Dominique pullets hatched in April were molting just on their necks recently! That's not a quality I would choose to breed, but this spring I am going to, since they're my only barred birds. Hopefully, that trait won't be inherited.

I have 4 pullets able to lay and about 7 hours of light, though it seems quite cloudy. I'm getting 3 and the occasional 4 (3-4x week).
I do not provide supplemental light. I free range them (literally) and provide layer in the morning and some scratch in the evening.
What breed are they? You only get seven hours of light there?

What breed are they?  You only get seven hours of light there?

Javas are laying everyday. My marans is laying 3-4 a week.
I live in between two hills so the light crests fully around 9 and is off the other hill by 530. I might get 8. The rooster crows at 730 or so, so maybe that's when their light starts.

Since it's been awhile since anyone has posted, here's a question:

How many eggs is everyone getting out of number of birds, with number of hours of daylight?  Any supplemental lighting or heat?

I've missed y'all.
I have 8 hens altogether. 5 are almost two. They are Easter eager-Dominique crosses. I have 3 birds that will be 4 this year. The leghorm seems to be completely out of eggs...hasn't layed in months. The other two, barred rocks, I expect to. I have had two eggs since December 3. No extra light, no heat. I'm getting close to 9 hours of daylight, now.
We all will be glad when it stays in the twenties or higher overnight. These single digits are no fun at all.

Mine started back laying the day after the solstice. About 5 a day from around 30 birds. 4 are old ladies, 10 are one year old and the rest are pullets hatched this summer.

I just checked previous calendars and in December 2013, I had 105 eggs, with 4 layers--two were leghorns. 2014 there were 56, 2015 - 18. This year, 2. I've had pullets that have gone into lay the previous fall, until this year. Next year, I'm freezing eggs in November!

Just had my first hatch ever with a 92% hatch rate. Going to give them garlic and molasses in their water for natural immune boosters and electrolytes.

Garlic is a natural blood thinner. I'd not give it to newly hatched chicks. You will do them a better service by giving them fermented feed and a plug of soil from your yard. Congrats on your hatch. birds from your own flock? IMO, excellent hatches are the result of good flock management and nutrition, as well as good incubation skills.

Back
Top Bottom