The natural History of Chickens...

Countrypunk92

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Portland, tennessee
The subject of this thread is also the title of a ducumentory about chickens..I watched it on Netflix, And was 55 min long..about 40 min of it was not about history, but silly stories of peoples chickens, the 40 min mark it shows a man opening a book, He starts reading and the reinactment began, He explained how people would call eachother chicken meaning cowardly.. and they actually didnt know real chickens, He recalls a story of him on a farm, he had all kinds of chickens, and one being a silkie..And how she tried so hard to sit on eggs and become a mother..But the bigger chickens kicked her out before they could hatch, and the other chickens laid on them and hatched them out and wouldnt let the silkie touch them..So the man tried diffrent things for the silkie with a few failures, he built a small henhouse and put her in it, she layed six eggs and sat on them..they hatched and he recalled how she was the perfect mother, showing her babies how to find bugs, and etc.. Well he was in the kitchen one day and noticed the chickens going frantic and hiding, knowing a hawk was out..He saw the silkie running like crazy to protect her young, she shoved them under her while the hawk neared and the man watching..( Why..I have no clue) Then the hawk lands on her......The man comes out( After the hawk attacked
he.gif
) and walks to the corpse...the young still alive, he was appauled by the unselfishness and most brave thing you would expect from a human...He went to pick up the body of the silkie...( Of course Im bawling...Yes..18 year old country guy and bawlin like a baby) suddenly the chicken sits up...The hawk missed.....I cryed harder..Lol... And he said, he then relized how smart, and caring these birds are, and would be glad to be called CHICKEN....

And shown a story of a chicken who had his head chopped off and LIVED...Not four mins, not hours, not days...years...Outstanding...But I would NOT leave a chicken with his head cut off.. that is horrible..

I too have seen that so called documentary, it was kind of bizarre. Wasn't there a woman that took her chicken everywhere in her car and swim with it in the pool? I also watched something on NatGeo or History about chickens,now bear in mind that I consider myself a fairly smart guy and know alot of things or just have a good memory with useless information. Love to learn things and when a topic comes up I like to have a little info in my skull about it,that being said, never in my life did I ever think that a chicken is the closest living relative to the tyrannasaurus rex. Who new? That chickens still have the dna in them albiet dormant. I try to instill in my children that you are never to old to learn.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
We watched it and enjoyed it. It is made with a touch of humor added to it oo. Also does tell you about the guy who had over 100 roo's on his property. Sit back and enjoy it, it is fun to watch.

We watched this with the kids. I was a little annoyed he watched the hawk terrorize the momma and chicks. Id be out there running down that hawk!!! There was another show on netflix where this lady raises a silkie strictly indoors. That show was kinda cute. Her chicken was very happy as a house chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom