The Need for New Roosters

Red Curry

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 3, 2010
I live outside of Waco, in the country, and have had a small free-range chicken operation for about a year and a half now. A few weeks ago the coyotes decided to start picking off the roosters and now the chickens. I had 2 roosters guarding the hens (6) and between them and our dogs, we never had a problem. After one rooster went missing, all hell broke loose and the coyotes have had no trouble picking off a new young rooster and 2 more hens.

We are taking care of the coyote culprits and locking the remaining hens in the coop at nite for the time being. My thought is that I need to find 2 new FULL GROWN roosters who can work together again. How in the world do I find something like that?

Guess I will check CL. I guess to find full grown roos I just have to suffer the crap shoot regarding how mean they will be. Perhaps the meaner the better tho. As for the offending coyotes, they will be short-lived......literally.

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you are here!
frow.gif

Obviously from your post you know you have to keep them locked up until you take care of the coyote problem. Good luck with that end of it. A rooster will usually give his life defending his flock, and with coyotes around, that is the expected result.

As mentioned, Craigslist is an obvious place to look. Another possibility is to talk to the people at the feed store. Somebody there may know somebody that has a couple of roosters they want to get rid of. It is also possible they may have a bulletin board where you could post a notice. Something else I would consider is to talk to your County Extension Agent, in the phone book under county government. The agent may be able to help you.

Good luck!

Thanks much guys! I have already located someone with Roosters AND a couple laying hens that have grown up together. Will b picking them up Sunday. Gotta love that craigslist!! Thanks for the feed store idea too. I should talk to them to see how much they know about my fellow chicken raisers in the area in case I run into this problem again. Fingers crossed that won't happen!

The problem with that is, do you know this flock to be free of diseases or parasites? It is kind of iffy to bring in new birds to your flock without putting them in quarantine for a few weeks away from your established flock to make sure they don't display some illness or bugs that they can pass on to your flock! If your problem is coyotes or foxes, a new roo or two won't solve your problem. Those predators will snag the new roos just as quickly as they would your hens! Choices are: 1) secure a covered run for your birds, 2) use electric fencing around the area in which you free range (although it won't help with raptors), or 3) expect a loss of birds. Shooting and setting traps will take care of the problem for awhile or maybe, but securing your chickens better would be much more of a deterant.

Back
Top Bottom