The nerve!

There are petting zoos and educational farms where the daycare kids can go on a field trip.Those are places I took my kids to see farm animals. I would recommend those instead of having them come to the home.

You said you can't put up a fence because you don't own the property, but do you think your landlord would be OK with t-posts and hog fencing? Or hey, since you don't need to keep animals in you may not even need the t-posts, just tie the hog fence to itself. It's easily removable, but high enough and an actual barrier for the kids and parents.

ETA: by hog fencing I meant the 16' panels

Last edited:
mmaddie's mom :

SSS?
hu.gif
NO...NO...NO...NO... JUST KIDDING!
tongue2.gif

Really... really... just a JOKE!
lol.png

Ha ha! Too much digging for me!

They would be alright with us putting up fencing, but there would be a lot of fencing to put up - we are on an acre and a half. I'd like to fence just a third of it, but still a pretty large space and I don't think it's cost effective for us right now. I will talk to them about putting up a fence again, they were going to then got busy with work.​

I guess I am naive cause I am so taken aback that someone would think it was ok to just walk into someone elses yard and feed their animals like that! I'm just blown away, people have no boundaries. Who the hell goes onto someone elses land and FEEDS THEIR COW???? I'm just appalled.

Tourists, that's who. Until I moved up here, I would never have believed it either. I don't know if it is the altitude or what, but they seem to lose all sense of respect when they come up here. I have friends who have come home to find people picnicing on their deck! At our previous home, they frequently "hiked" though my back yard as well as everyone else's on our street. One afternoon I was outside hanging out clothes and a pair of so called hikers came wondering through my yard. I asked them if I could help them as they were on private property and they just replied, "Oh we didn't realize anyone actually lived in these houses? I guess my chicken coop with chickens cluckling around, my clothes on the line and my car in the driveway weren't enough clues.

When we decided to sell that house, we had a for sale sign up that said shown by appointment only since we were still living there. One day my daughter came downstairs in a towel to get some clothes from the laundry room and was greeted by four faces pressed up against the living room window! She almost had a heart attack and my husband was very angry, but there was nothing we could do about it. I wish I had been home when that happened.

Unfortunately, where I live, the visitors treat it like a Disneyland in the mountains. They wonder in and out of people's yards, trespass, walk up and down the middle of the sreets, litter and sled ride where ever they please. They also let their children run amuck in our local shops. I could tell you stories about when I had my shop in town, but that is a whole nother post. It is a constant battle trying to keep them off your property. 2 winter's ago we had an especially high amount of tourists come up after a big snow storm. I work for a water district and on a property we own that has wells on it, they actually tore down the fencing and plodded on in and played in the snow all weekend. They even stole things from the homes along the edge of our property. They ignored signs, trespassed, stole private property and left a ton of trash behind. They spend no money in our town as they don't stay at the inns overnight and they bring their own food and do not eat in our restaurants either. They just come, make a mess of things and leave. It is very discouraging for those of us who live up here as we don't prefer picking up other people's soiled diapers and trash, nor do we wish to have strange people walking all over our property. But they don't care. Hope you have more luck with the daycare than I do with the tourists.

Shoot, shovel, shut up.

Generally used to refer to a neighbor's dog that is causing problems for your chickens.

I'm all for educating where I can....but folks don't read signs - that's why the Garmin and the TomTom were invented (can't find the street? Look on a MAP moron).

I'm a former museum Curator - can't tell you how much people DON'T read signs. Or if read, not obeyed.
he.gif

I agree with the 'invisible fence' signage. If you use the 'high voltage' symbol, you'll likely get more respect with it.
The 'no tresspassing' signs might help. Might not. Don't here in Chicagoland.

I'd not encourage feeding your chickens by providing the little cups and .25 cent dispensers. You'll likely end up with REALLY fat chickens! And folks won't have a quarter, but they'll have a french fry that's been behind the kid's booster seat a while - hey, that'll work, right? Discourage feeding altogether, imho.

I've had folks come down my 200' gravel driveway, park in front of my barn and walk AROUND my barn into my backyard, through my backyard to see the neighbor's horses (not visible from the street) - WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. I've had folks walk through other folk's backyards to reach my frozen backyard to skate on a not-officially-a-skating rink WITHOUT MY PERMISSION (guy didn't even live in our town! He was visiting folks and 'happened' to have his skates and 'happened' to see my snow-covered frozen lake and 'happened' to clean off most of it to skate on?!). I've had folks picking my mulberry trees (500' from the street) who 'happened' to be walking by (how, I've got 7 neighbors on a 700' long two acre lot?!)
rant.gif

People are mostly respectful, of that I truly would like to believe. But it's the idiots of the world who make me wonder if humanity doesn't need a good clean-out....

Ok, rant over.
somad.gif
Back to your regularly scheduled forum.

Back
Top Bottom