The NEW Crazy 24hr AUCTION thread

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by Phage, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Go up the chain of command. WE are the customers. WE pay the taxes that pay their wages. THey work for us. GO up the chin of command until you do reach someone that listens. ANd document each encounter.

MY local post master has been wonderful; when I had a complaint and used the phone number that came with the old tracking slips, that took all my customer service skills to get some money back. I was NOT impressed.

2. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA

3. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    well, some hopeful news... an update on my foley girl BLRW that was snatched by a coon the night of the 4th... apparently she was slow going to bed. it grabbed her by the head and dragged her away, but the dog got there pretty quick and stood guard over her till I got out there... she's got bite marks on both sides of her head and I think her neck may have been damaged too from her struggling.

anyways, she was still breathing and when you harassed her she'd shuffle her feet, but wasn't moving her head or neck at all. hubby said her pupils were reactive to light though, so we left her in the hospital cage with food and water. she hadn't eaten or drunk anything and didn't move hardly at all. even when you put her beak in the water she made no attempt to drink...

as of yesterday I saw no improvement and had decided I was going to put her down last night. but in checking her over, I noticed a clump of poop on some vent feathers and decided to at least pull that off, since I wasn't ready to 'do the deed'... it was dried to the feathers, so i had to remove a couple of them. well that woke her up! her head came up and she looked at me, but quickly went back to sleep. so I bothered her some more, (she hates her wings touched). and while she was awake I put her face in the water and got her to drink some. hubby said she was more alert this morning but still not moving around much, but instead of laying on her side she was a bit more upright.

so she gets a reprieve for now... we keep waking her up to make her drink at least. can't seem to get her to eat, but if she keeps drinking at least she won't dehydrate and maybe it'll give her time to heal. best we can figure is she's got a severe concussion. possible brain damage too but that remains to be seen. so for now we are keeping fingers crossed that she continues to improve.

I'm leaving the door to the hospital cage open, so if she's feeling froggy she can hop out any time. but I don't think she's anywhere near ready for that.

4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I hope she gets better quickly!

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Karen, I know I would be sore after all that. Can you give her some anagegics?? I did some research earlier and I think asprin is doable. Can't remember the dosing. OFten getting an animal to eat is simply feeling better. THat is always my first line of management.

A horse with colic will become dehydrated. I'm quick to get a small dose of banamine in and VOILA hose is drining and eating again. Castrtophy averted.

I would force feed gatorade. My large animal vet always recommended lemon-lime-- so I always have it on hand. COmes in dry powder, just kep lid tight.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. jnjmanning

jnjmanning Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Sullivan Missouri
    That is where my Post Master comes in. When he knows I have eggs coming, he will call the sort facility in Hazelwood. Last 2 deliveries had not ONE damaged air cell! And one was a day late!

7. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    does Gatorade have calories too? I was thinking of using sugar water, or maybe some OJ...

on the down side, she still has food in her crop that hasn't gone anywhere since she ate it 3 days ago... maybe having some liquid in there will help. feels like mostly pellets and grain.

and she's only pooped once.

i'm afraid to force feed anything, if she's still got broken head or damage to her neck I could cause more issues... so for now i'm just moving the bowl to her beak to drink... I have a gavage I could use if I really wanted to force the issue, but again i'm afraid of causing more damage to her...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

9. jnjmanning

jnjmanning Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Sullivan Missouri
    Chickens can and DO get head trauma and the brain will swell. If she was grabbed by the head this could be her problem. I had a polish with head trauma and 4 days of steroids and she improved hourly. It was almost a miracle. My vet fixed it up in a small bottle, 2 drops every 12 hrs for 7-10 days, then wean them off. She is a normal girl now! I have a GREAT relationship with my vet, even though he does not treat birds. He leaves it to me to do research and then give him the results.

10. chick-among-us

chick-among-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas
    Another one I could do! Woot is there pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by