The new layena

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
Has anyone else tried the new layena plus omega 3? I saw it last week and got a bag. It is small pellets, not crumbles. My chickens won't eat it. But they are used to crumbles. Would that be why they won't eat the new stuff?

I put it next to their original layena and they will give it a courious peck, but then turn away from it.

It's not large pellets, but is it because it is different from crumbles?

I am not interested in using it all the time, cause of the cost, but was interested in mixing in with the regular layena.

Chickens can be picky and resist switching form crumbles to pellets. I think sometimes they might not realize its food. Try throwing a handful down like scratch. That gets mine to eat anything. If it's on the ground it must be good. I think that's why they constantly knock the feeder over.

Thanks. Actually I ground feed all the time. They hate feeders and make such a mess. They seem to eat the food from the ground much better. Very very little of it is ever left, and with a feeder, they throw it out and won't touch it after that. Always a horrible mess of uneaten food around any feeder I have ever tried.

I tried mixing in the new layena plus with their regular food and they pick out around the pellets.

They love oats, when I put those out for my horse and/or goats, they love to get into the feed pans and eat the oats right along with the horse or goats.

I do also have a forage block out for them, and they eat on that.

I use scratch in the cooler weather and winter. Seems as if the corn in it makes more body heat and they don't do well on it in the summer heat.

Mine love the new feed. They took to it right away. But, then again, they went from crumbles to pellets last year with no problem and they would never think of wasting food.

They'll eat it eggcited2. Put it out there for them with nothing else and eventually they will get hungry enough to gobble it down. It may take a few days of starvation though. Do you keep your birds penned up all the time? At this time of year our chickens don't eat much of the feed mill food because they're usually full of bugs they find in the field and on our lawn.

Back
Top Bottom