The new official awesomely cool Mallard Duck Thread

Quote:
yep.. They started being able to fly a little at 7 weeks.

I feed the Purina Game Bird Chow line.

Got my ducks from Whistling Wings Inc. in illinois. They are supposed to be pretty close to genetically "wild".

This line of food is probably a higher quality ration than normal poultry crumbles as it's formulated for growing gamebirds like mallards, pheasants, quail..etc

Also, in the wild they fly by 8 weeks or so in order to migrate.

Got any pics of your mallards?

Last edited:
32681_dsc_0724.jpg

They were about 14 weeks in this picture. The drake (front) is fully colored now. We just got ours at TSC.

(sorry for the mess, it was raining for about a week)

Last edited:
Quote:
very interesting because mine look just like those if not slightly more developed at 9 weeks.

Quote:
31 whole posts, "new official awesomely cool" and no pictures. You have a lot of nerve newby, you should fit right in.~gd

This is the first BYC post I have seen that takes this tone. If the community is not interested in Chris Warden's post then it will not receive replies and thus be buried/pushed down the list. This could be a younger individual as well. Acting towards a newer member like you did isn't conducive to attracting other members. If anything, this person's enthusiasm should have been encouraged.

I mainly hang out in the meat bird section and we certainly don't respond to each other in the manner you did.

Perhaps this is the normal etiquette for this section of the forum? I hope not.

If you read, GD put "You should fit right in." He wasn't being mean and the OP repsonded nicely about it.
GD has a sence of humor and some people get it and some don't.
hmm.png

Maybe they are mutant ducks. They also think they are chickens. They sleep in the nesting boxes (I have caught them on the roosts at night too) and they have an odd attachment to the rooster. They follow him around like he is a celebrity. He even give them treats he finds.

Just looked up my topic, and that picture was taken when they were 11 weeks old.

Last edited:
Quote:
11 weeks is better. at 14 weeks, roughly 4 months, the drakes should be getting their adult plumage.

Quote:
where'd you get your mallards from?

Mine arent from anybodys line. I started raising mallards years ago and have worked my line to be as pure to wild as possible. If you can find domestics any closer their not domestics
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom