The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

Just checking to see how new Mac works, simple.

1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's wonderful about the phone call with your sister! Life's too short to not talk to the people that mean a lot to us. I'd give just about anything to be able to call my sister one more time. She's been gone almost 15 years now, she passed away at 46. I'm very thankful we were in touch many times before she was suddenly just gone.

Happy Birthday to Aunt Ethel! Wow, 107, she's seen a lot in that much time. How nice you all get together for her birthday (sorry you can't make it this year sunflour). To Aunt Ethel [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Looks like it works fine from this angle!

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I was so blessed to have my natural father's mom in my life for as long as I did, so I know how special those days with them are, @sunflour ! My Gramma Grace was like that. The only medication she was on were the drops for her glaucoma. She lived in her own little house until she was 93. Then she fell and broke her ribs. She healed very well, and after a few days in the hospital she was moved to a facility in Hills, Minnesota to fully recover. I found out about it and called her right away. Now, bear in mind that I only got to see her once or twice a year living so far away all the time. She picked up the phone and the first words out of my mouth were, "Gramma, what happened?" She gave that sweet chuckle of hers and didn't miss a beat. "Well, Diane, I don't know. One minute I was walking across the dining room and the next minute I was on my back yelling at myself because my Life Alert was hanging on the bedstead." I didn't even have to identify myself, remarkable when you think about how many kids, grandkids, great grandkids, and great great grandkids she had!

Well, she liked it there! Many of the staff had dated her boys (there were 12 of them) at one time or another, they attended the same church, and she enjoyed being with many of her friends and neighbors who had been moved there long before she had. So she had her all of her kids come up there one day and she told them to have a family only auction. In other words, the only people allowed to bid on items in the house and the house itself were members of her family. She said it was easier and faster than trying to decide who got what. The proceeds went into a special account to pay for her room at the Mary Jane Brown home. She loved to play Santa for the residents there and was an active member of the Red Hat Society too.

My beloved Gramma raised 13 children - only one a little girl. There were 3 sets of twins. I don't recall ever hearing her raise her voice, although Grampa could get kinda vocal! My biological dad and his twin sister were her very first babies. Gramma told Ken & me the story of them many times. Until they were born she didn't know there were two babies, they were born early, and they were so tiny nobody thought they would survive. When they were born Gramma's sister, who was also her midwife, wanted Grampa to take the babies to the nearest hospital. It was one of the few times Gramma ever defied Grampa. She was terrified that the doctors would decide they were too small and just allow them to die. She fashioned a sort of sling and "wore" them under her dress, one near each breast, so that they were kept warm and she could nurse them frequently. She would sit in her big rocker, stroke their ears, and pray for them while they slept. How heartbroken she must have been when my dad died in his 20's, after she sacrificed so much to save him.

She created an entire family of ear-rubbers! She would hold one of her grandchildren, great grandchildren, great-great grandchildren, or great-great-great grandchildren and rub the exact same spot on the exact same ear of each baby. She didn't make a production of it-most people never noticed her doing it- she just held them and absently stroked that little sweet spot while she visited with the rest of the family. She told me that once, while she was holding Dad and his sister, Grampa teased her. "You're going to rub their ears off. Why do you do that?" She smiled at her thriving babies and quietly told him, "It's for those times when I'm not with them. I'm making a little path, so that when God talks to them, they'll be always be able to hear Him." We lost our special Gramma Grace June 26, 2010. She would have been 104 years old on her birthday, December 25th. She remained cheerful, alert and in full command of her mind until almost the end. She really didn't get sick, she just went home. What a wonderful woman she was, and what a legacy of gentleness she left for all of her family. I know this is kinda long, but I just wanted to share.

We need so much to honor those in our past who make up so much of who we are! Tam says she sometimes feels like she knows more about the full lives enjoyed by some of her residents at the Care Center than their own families do, and that's so sad for everyone.

[​IMG]
    Gramma Grace, Katiebug and me. I think this was in 2006. Katie was maybe 6 months so Gramma was just 6 months away from celebrating her 100th. Both December babies, like me.

[​IMG]
    Gramma Grace, Little Diane and me. I think Bumbley was about 10 in this picture, so Gramma would have been in her late 90s.

Everything I learned about being a grandmother I learned from her and my Ma. And bless Ma and my step-dad for always letting us remain close to Ma's first husband's family. Dad Ron and my natural Dad Hank were friends when they were younger so he never felt uncomfortable being around Hank's family. We did Sunday dinners at Gramma Grace and Grampa George's house just as often as we had Sunday dinners at Dad Ron's parent's house. I think that was one of the things I admired most about my Dad - his wide open heart. I have some mighty big shoes to fill!

And I just wrote another book, didn't I? <sigh> Sorry.

2 people like this.
  5. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    Keep writing your "books" Blooie...you made me cry. I love to hear stories like that. I had 2 grandmas but neither were nice ladies. I have come to love the elderly ladies I clean for and I consider them a blessing.

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I love your "books" and they also bring sweet tears.

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    But my fun stuff may be gone with the wind, got a USB portable memory to try to salvage some stuff from old MAC - very, very valuable stuff - like baby chicken flicks, pics and cat movies...

for those of us whose "children" aren't human...[​IMG] But the einsteins who tried to salvage my stored info did a poor job of it :(.

Oh well, out with the old, in with the new.

Now when are those baby ducks arriving ? April ? I am so jealous, I was thinking about a second flock but have definitely decided against it, at least for this year.

So, hope you will keep us advised of your plans, new arrivals for a "virtual" experience. [​IMG]

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yep, 10 little ducklings April 11th, 8 different breeds. There will be plenty of pictures to go around [​IMG]

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I sure hope so, Debby! I don't know how I can think ducks are so adorable but not want any myself I'm not sure, but there ya have it. My confession. I'm a duck voyeur!

10. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I'll work on you...you'll want ducks...nice story Blooie....you got those long life genes!!! My grandma died at home in her bed at 97....not as old as yours....but still had a garden and everything....and lived alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by