The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

they are very pretty Chickens!

They sure are!

works better if you shred it.

ETA: Even better if you can find someone close to you that makes cheese. I make my own Colby and buy cheddar from a friend.

Thanks!

And hmm, never thought of finding someone that makes cheese! Thanks

Good Morning Friends :hugs

Tee hee Diva, you are the ice cream queen!

OMG N F C the kitty in the jump suit with cookies is adorable!!

Predicted maximum today is 91.5F

Today is hubby’s last day at work before Christmas; I still have today, Thursday and Friday to work and while he does not return until the New Year, I am working the 3 days between Christmas and New Year. So, he is going to get the grocery shopping out of the way tomorrow and I have a list to prepare ;)

Thanks!!

Yeah, wonder what they are coated with..... It's funny, I never really thought about this stuff before. I mean, I knew that processed foods in general were bad and boxes and stuff but I always kind of thought it was just that. The boxed stuff. The Oreos. The cereal. The microwave meals. Microwave popcorn (which btw has a lot of carcinogens in it and is one of the worst things). Never would have thought of something as innocent as cheese.....

Or like, for instance, I thought kraft american slices were gross but the rest was okay... surely the sargento or cracker barrel or cabot must be okay... guess not...

Wonder what other chemicals I am eating.

Anyway, sorry for rambling haha

Thanks for the info on the Welsummers Bruce! I've been thinking of adding one but not sure yet. I don't know of I have enough room in my coop.

But I have finally narrowed it down. I have A LOT of breeds I want to try and could try them all but I managed to narrow it down to ones I definitely want and somewhat have a next order already. If I order more. But again, probably won't.

But I think my next order would be Speckled Sussex, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Partridge Rock or Cochin, and then either a Welsummer or Golden Buff/red sex link or leghorn for eggs. And maybe another Easter Egger.

I really want the Silver Laced Wyandotte too but I heard they are slightly more mean than Gold so since i have limited space i chose.

And I would love to have more color Orpingtons and Australorps.

And I would love to try Brahma or Cochin but they're not as good layers and the feathered feet I've heard are a pain.

Also would try Delaware, Dominique, Buckeye, every Rock, and some others but limited space ha

Would LOVE a silver pencilled rock too but they're pretty rare and sell out :(
The stuff that is in food is one reason why I have chickens.

The bag that microwave popcorn is in is coated with plastic that gets into the popcorn. Same with most fast food bags. It is a grease barrier.

I've skipped several of the breeds you mentioned @KDOGG331 because they tend to be broody. I don't need slackers, already have enough ;). Next up here are likely some Barred Rocks, a couple of sexlinks (*) and DD1 wants a couple of Golden Campines.

* since they are supposedly laying machines but I also hear they burn out after a couple of years. Not the best for me since I have a very generous "retirement" plan for my girls. But at least I KNOW none will be cockerels.

Thanks!!

Yeah, wonder what they are coated with..... It's funny, I never really thought about this stuff before. I mean, I knew that processed foods in general were bad and boxes and stuff but I always kind of thought it was just that. The boxed stuff. The Oreos. The cereal. The microwave meals. Microwave popcorn (which btw has a lot of carcinogens in it and is one of the worst things). Never would have thought of something as innocent as cheese.....

Or like, for instance, I thought kraft american slices were gross but the rest was okay... surely the sargento or cracker barrel or cabot must be okay... guess not...

Wonder what other chemicals I am eating.

Anyway, sorry for rambling haha

Thanks for the info on the Welsummers Bruce! I've been thinking of adding one but not sure yet. I don't know of I have enough room in my coop.

But I have finally narrowed it down. I have A LOT of breeds I want to try and could try them all but I managed to narrow it down to ones I definitely want and somewhat have a next order already. If I order more. But again, probably won't.

But I think my next order would be Speckled Sussex, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Partridge Rock or Cochin, and then either a Welsummer or Golden Buff/red sex link or leghorn for eggs. And maybe another Easter Egger.

I really want the Silver Laced Wyandotte too but I heard they are slightly more mean than Gold so since i have limited space i chose.

And I would love to have more color Orpingtons and Australorps.

And I would love to try Brahma or Cochin but they're not as good layers and the feathered feet I've heard are a pain.

Also would try Delaware, Dominique, Buckeye, every Rock, and some others but limited space ha

Would LOVE a silver pencilled rock too but they're pretty rare and sell out :(
Shredded cheese is coated with cellulose, it's like shredded wood I believe.

They sure are!

Thanks!

And hmm, never thought of finding someone that makes cheese! Thanks

I still have a very long way to go... Working with cultures is a whole new adventure and since I use raw milk, it changes through out the year based upon what forage is available. But I've found there are a lot of artisan cheese makers out there and local is always better. Here's a website that could lead you to some local sources. Just put in cheese and your zip and see what happens. Often your local Weston A Price chapter will know where to find good nutrient dense foods.

The stuff that is in food is one reason why I have chickens.

The bag that microwave popcorn is in is coated with plastic that gets into the popcorn. Same with most fast food bags. It is a grease barrier.

That's disgusting! But it makes sense. Microwaved plastic is very bad.

I've skipped several of the breeds you mentioned @KDOGG331 because they tend to be broody. I don't need slackers, already have enough ;). Next up here are likely some Barred Rocks, a couple of sexlinks (*) and DD1 wants a couple of Golden Campines.

* since they are supposedly laying machines but I also hear they burn out after a couple of years. Not the best for me since I have a very generous "retirement" plan for my girls. But at least I KNOW none will be cockerels.

That makes sense! A lot of them definitely go broody! I know Cochins and Brahmas especially do but are there any on my short list?

Mine are pets so I don't mind if they're not the best layers in the world :)

Although I will say mine are slackers and none are laying atm. Didn't lay that well this summer either. Wonder if that's partially my fault though cause the pens kind of small, maybe they'll lay better in the bigger coop with more oyster shell available.

Out of my current ones, the only one that ever went broody was Penny the Buff Orpington. She went broody like 5 times this year haha sadly I think she is the one that died last month. :( one of my Australorps tried being broody because of Penny but wasn't serious.

Shredded cheese is coated with cellulose, it's like shredded wood I believe.

That's not so bad then! More natural than a chemical at least

I still have a very long way to go... Working with cultures is a whole new adventure and since I use raw milk, it changes through out the year based upon what forage is available. But I've found there are a lot of artisan cheese makers out there and local is always better. Here's a website that could lead you to some local sources. Just put in cheese and your zip and see what happens. Often your local Weston A Price chapter will know where to find good nutrient dense foods.

Thanks, that's a good idea!!

Oh and my reservation with the sex links is I have heard that they have a tendency to prolapse and that scares me :/
I found sex links to be nasty pushy birds that die young. Great if you are after eggs, not so great if you want them around longer.

Back
Top Bottom