The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I still have a very long way to go... Working with cultures is a whole new adventure and since I use raw milk, it changes through out the year based upon what forage is available. But I've found there are a lot of artisan cheese makers out there and local is always better. Here's a website that could lead you to some local sources. Just put in cheese and your zip and see what happens. Often your local Weston A Price chapter will know where to find good nutrient dense foods.

@rjohns39 (and all :) )
I make cheese with raw too!

A few years ago I was hoping to teach cheese making classes (even have several URLs to set up websites for it) but we ended up taking care of my dad for several years and I have never gotten back into doing it as often as I was before.

Oh...and I'm a member of wpf :)

Last edited:
Thats too bad :( nasty to the other birds or people or?

But yeah, i was thinking they might provide some more eggs. What about leghorns?
I found them nasty to other chickens, nobody is nasty to me thankfully. Others have said they are nice birds, but that hasn't been my experiences. Of course my Wyandotte are never nasty, and everyone else complains theirs are so???

Oops, I have never had leghorn. The closet are Ancona, they seem nice.

@rjohns39 (and all :) )
I make cheese with raw too!

A few years ago I was hoping to teach cheese making classes (even have several URLs to set up websites for it) but we ended up taking care of my dad for several years and I have never gotten back into doing it as often as I was before.

Oh...and I'm a member of wpf :)
What's wpf?

I can't survive without cheese, thankfully the best cheese factory ever is only 5 miles away or I would shrivel up and die.

I found them nasty to other chickens, nobody is nasty to me thankfully. Others have said they are nice birds, but that hasn't been my experiences. Of course my Wyandotte are never nasty, and everyone else complains theirs are so???

Yeah, my Australorps can be nasty to the other birds. Definitely don't want more nasty birds.

And hmm, weird. Yeah, i was nervous about Wyandotte but you say yours are nice?

Anconas seem like nice birds. Do they lay well?

I thought maybe leghorns might provide the eggs without the nastiness.

Do you think the sex link being young and introduced into an existing flock would help the nastiness?

We're going to be getting some nasty cold weather here too. I just looked at the forecast and Saturday will be the worst with a high of 3* and a low of -12* (and that's without any windchill taken into account).

We're supposed to go to my brother's house in Cheyenne Saturday but if we get this cold and predicted snow on Thursday & Friday, don't know that will happen. Have to wait and see what happens. We might be trapped in the house with all these cookies :eek:
Be safe! I think the snow will miss us...maybe a dusting.
I found sex links to be nasty pushy birds that die young. Great if you are after eggs, not so great if you want them around longer.
I had 2 sexlinks, I didn’t see that they were pushy but 1 died right after she started laying this fall. I found her dead in the coop one morning. She must have died on the roost and fell off.

I love my wyandottes. I have 2 Golden left. Both of my silvers were eaten by a fox.

Yeah, my Australorps can be nasty to the other birds. Definitely don't want more nasty birds.

And hmm, weird. Yeah, i was nervous about Wyandotte but you say yours are nice?

Anconas seem like nice birds. Do they lay well?

I thought maybe leghorns might provide the eggs without the nastiness.

Do you think the sex link being young and introduced into an existing flock would help the nastiness?
I did keep sex link back before I switched to a higher protein ration than layer, so I assume since both became feather pickers, and one an egg eater, they require a higher protein feed to support their laying. I haven't had a lot of them, they weren't for me.

My Ancona are my best layers with my buff laced polish being the next best layer I have. Ancona are pretty much leghorns in a pretty package.

My Wyandotte are fine, but mine are all free range and have a large shed. Confined Wyandotte seem to have a problem. I found the gold laced to be more forward, and the silver laced to be more meek, but everyone seems to have different experiences.

Back
Top Bottom